Seeds from peppers

Onihrapiggy

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:34 pm

My piggies love red peppers, but I am always so careful to pick out all of the little white seeds because I wasn't sure if they would harm them or not. Are the seeds safe for them??

EllieMom

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:36 pm

I think, in general, seeds are something you should avoid. I think it depends on the size and chewability, somewhat, too. I do remove all the seeds from peppers, watermelon, and papaya. But I'm less vigilant about tomatoes and cucumbers because the seeds in those seem less seedy (if that makes sense).

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:39 pm

I think we've had this discussion somewhere else. I especially feed pepper seeds to my boys. Toby loves them with a capital 'L!' He always scarfs the seeds first. I avoid all other seeds, though; and they don't like tomatoes.

Onihrapiggy

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:44 pm

Oh most likely there has been a previous discussion on this...so many threads now, very hard to nail down specific issues.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:46 pm

Since most threads end up talking about food, that's not hard to believe. I remember some people said they wash the peppers and give them to the piggies whole.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:53 pm

I sometimes take the mini peppers, wash them, and toss them in whole. Sometimes I squish them apart first.

With larger peppers I do take out most of the seeds, but I don't think it's necessary.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:46 pm

I always used to take the pepper seeds out. No idea if my pigs would have liked them or not. The did love tomatoes.

vanillapooh1979

Post   » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:50 pm

Mine eat the seeds that do stay on the pepper. But I try to cut out the seed cluster.

starfishsaving

Post   » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:41 am

I have found that just running the pepper under water and rubbing the little seed core thingy with my fingers very quickly removes all the seeds, without cutting. I do this just to be safe but I cut up the white core for them.