Snow peas?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:46 pm

Trick, there are a few errors on the page. Advice should be taken with a grain of salt. I think she did a great job pulling things together but it has its limitations.

Better to focus on a variety of green greens and go for a good calcium phosphorus ratio. Go light on the fruits. You can play with ratios with the calculator here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/calculator.xls

Trick

Post   » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:29 am

Oh I had not realised that, I shall definitely bear that in mind. I'll use the calculator on our normal menu this evening and see if the girlie pigs are doing okay. They don't get a lot of fruits or any of the rarer veg as they have such sensitive tummies so hopefully I've been doing okay.

I'll definitely put that warning when I recommend the link in future!

PiggyPower

Post   » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:43 pm

I bought a salad mix to try and cheer up my boy - but I just realised I didn't know what tatsoi was...

http://www.intercrop.co.uk/images/large/18_202356.jpg
There's a pic from google.

From Wiki:
Also called spinach mustard, spoon mustard, or rosette bok choy, is an Asian variety of Brassica rapa grown for greens. This plant has become popular in North American cuisine as well, and is now grown throughout the world.

The plant has dark green spoon-shaped leaves which form a thick rosette. It has a soft creamy texture and has a subtle yet distinctive flavour.
Is he still allowed the mix? It also has chard and coral lettuce but I read they're ok?

Sunny

Post   » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:28 pm

I have one pig who won't eat the shell but if I break it open for him and hand feed one pea at a time, it's like piggy crack! He can't get enough!

tcarey
The Zen of Pigs

Post   » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:16 pm

Our pigs like the peas too, and not the pods. They go crazy for the peas!

Pigpig

Post   » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:42 pm

My pigs LOVE only the peas from Sugar peas too. I have to be so careful when I bring a bunch in to feed them during floor time, because they run and pop around my feet! Lola stuffs like 2 or 3 in before she actually starts chewing them.

Tammy

Post   » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:58 pm

I remember mine ate the whole pea and the pod.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:18 pm

PiggyPower, that mix will do in a pinch for short periods of time, but you will likely save money by buying a simple head of green leaf lettuce (not the kind that's white and comes tightly packed in a ball).

Ledasmom

Post   » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:00 pm

I would not give a lot of tatsoi, as it's a brassica and potentially gassy, but some should be okay as long as your piggies don't have trouble with it. I tend to give small amounts of brassicas rather frequently, on the theory that they're less likely to have trouble with it if their digestive systems are used to it - I am not sure if that is valid, but my two don't seem to have problems with brassicas except for smelly gas. The smelly gas is, however, a problem for me.

PiggyPower

Post   » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:40 pm

Thank you - it's just a "treat" as he hasn't had it before, he won't get it often - I'll make sure he only gets like 1 or 2 leaves of tatsoi (I dunno how well it's mixed through the salady thing)

EllieMom

Post   » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:57 pm

I tried basil on my girls today. They were totally disgusted with it and with me. You would have thought I had tried to feed them snakes. They'd go up to it, smell it, squeak, and run as far away as they could get from it. After trying to overcome their disgust a few times and giving me the evil eye, they all huddled together on the far side of the cage and wheeked softly in their misery. It was a really funny torture session.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:03 am

EllieMom, our boys are like that with cilantro. It's so funny. How dare we poison the food dish!