Chopping Vegetables?

Feylin

Post   » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:13 pm

Do you cut up your veggies? Is there any compelling reason to do so?

I cut mine up because I dont want one of my boys hoarding an entire half of a green pepper!

However, I was thinking that uncut veggies would give them something to do. Kind of like putting hay in a tube. I don't cut up anything I give the tortoise and she can stay busy for hours because it makes her eat slower.

Any thoughts?

Tammy

Post   » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:24 pm

I just give the whole veggies. It's fun the watch them get their teeth into a tomato and the just eat around the tomatoe leaving only a ball of seeds. Very fascinating! Also fun to watch them try to drag a celery stalk into the pigloo the wrong way. I have too many videos of them eating!

Topaz

Post   » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:26 pm

I cut them up to make them easier to handle. And yes, easier to share that way too.

EllieMom

Post   » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:32 pm

My picky little princesses need to have them cut up. I cut the romaine leaves up so they're not left with lettuce bones at the end of dinner. (That's what we call the leftover middle stalks of the romaine that they refuse to have anything to do with. It looks like they've had the veggie version of ribs when they're done with dinner sometimes.)

They won't eat grape tomatoes unless they're cut in half because it's just toooo hard to bite through that tomato skin. Funny, Oreo never had any trouble biting through my skin.

Tianabobana

Post   » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:47 pm

I always cut up their veggies so I can measure about 2 cups. Is there another way you guys gauge how much your pigs should get?

Stomphoof

Post   » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:51 pm

I tear mine up with my manhands! They get different sized bits this way so they have an adventure with eating.

rshevin

Post   » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:31 pm

I tear my veggies into smaller but not tiny pieces. Smudgie is older and eats slower and needs the smaller pieces to keep up with his mini-hog brother. I don't believe they need it though.

JennG
In Memory of Mama

Post   » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:39 pm

I cut most of the veggies except lettuce, cilantro, parsley, spinach-I usually tear thoses up.

Aertyn

Post   » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:41 pm

Carrots are julienned (good practice actually)
Capsicum is cut into 1cm wide pieces
Cucumber is cut into rounds .5cm thick then quartered
Lettuce is carefully hand shredded with any pieces too watery or icky looking quickly disposed of.
Grape Tomatoes and Grapes are sliced in half because it's too hard to bite through that tough tough flesh *rolls eyes*

...I'm mad aren't I?

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:15 am

I break up a pepper so someone doesn't steal the whole thing, but other than that, I chuck it in whole. Oh, I chunk carrots, too, 'cause they're too big to eat a whole one. Sometimes, I tear the romain in half just 'cause the sound gets them all excited. We also thread parsley through the grids so they have to work to get it. They are in training for the olympics.

twofinepigs

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:29 am

I tear stuff up, but not real small. I rip up bell peppers because I want everyone to get a fair share.* The only thing I cut is cherry tomatoes and there's a reason but I can't think of it. ;)

* Einie has been known to grab, run and put a piece in the house, and go grab another one. So if there aren't a bunch of pieces, Hoover will still be eating his first piece of romaine while the hidey is full of all the green peppers off the plate.

critterluv02

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:29 am

...I'm mad aren't I?
That or perhaps you have waaaay too much time on your hands. :-)