Chopping Vegetables?

Maria1986

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:34 am

I just shred by hand too. I don't bother with the measuring in a cup anymore as I can pretty much tell now what amounts they should be having.

The only thing I chop carefully is celery when they get it, so that they don't get the nasty stringy bits.

pigsforlife3

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:50 am

I cut up capsicum, carrot, cucumber and apple (when it is fed) into chunks. Cherry tomatoes and grapes (when they are fed) are sometimes fed whole, or cut in half. Lettuce leaves are ripped in half. I chop off the bulk of the stemmy bits on the parsley and the bok choy as they dont eat them anyway.

The only reason I tend to cut things up a bit is so that each pig has half a chance of getting similar quantities of food. Knowing Rosie in particular, she would snatch a whole lettuce leaf if she could and go and hide in a corner, sqawking if anyone dared to go close.

DaCourt

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:23 am

Out of the 13 pigs here, 3 of them get their veggies cut very small. But that is because of health issues. The other 10 just get them torn into smaller pieces.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:15 am

Ledasmom

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:56 am

I slice celery and fennel up because of the strings and leave everything else in big pieces. It's just too much fun watching them snatch something large off the dinner plate and head for a hiding place, especially when they both head for the same hiding place and then pretend they're alone.

Stomphoof

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:06 pm

I think tonight I am gonna drop a few normal sized leaves of lettuce in and see what happens.

Trick

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:10 pm

I cut mine into big chunks of different shapes but feed lettuce leaves and other greens whole :)

Stomphoof

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:13 pm

Half the fun of feeding veggies is using your MAN (or WOMAN) hands to tear em up right near the cage.

My pigs go nuts cause they know its veggie time when I do that :P

bats

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:21 pm

Stomphoof

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:22 pm

"What is this?! You dare serve me THIS?! ITS A TRAVESTY!"

magicmoo

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:24 pm

Bats. Is your pig saying "What do mean, blown up with a bicycle pump? I am big-boned, I'll have you know!"

Gorgeous, gorgeous, piggy!

Maria1986

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:28 pm

Mine too stomp! I tear the veggies up near the cage and give a little bit to each by hand first before putting the pile in and they go nuts watching me tear up the veggies so near to them!