2 guineapigs dead, 1 still living, will it die?

laura605

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:11 pm

A cat got to two of my guineapigs last night and now the one left is all alone, i heard somewhere that when both a guineapig's mates die then it will die in a month or so, is this true and even if i do get new mates for it, will it still die?
I already lost two and don't want to lose the other one.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:20 pm

"i heard somewhere that when both a guineapig's mates die then it will die in a month or so,"

Not even remotely true. Rubbish.

Look into same-sex mates (or fixed opposite sex) for the pig in question. Make sure you 1) give the lone pig extra attention, care, and love in the meantime; 2) weigh him or her regularly to make sure he or she is holding weight; supplemental feed if not and 3) make absolutely sure, of course, the cat can't get to the remaining pig and/or any new mates you secure.

laura605

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:25 pm

Thankyou, and one more thing, should I get him mates asap or wait a week? At the moment he's very tentative jumping at any noise he hears.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:28 pm

I'm very sorry for your loss. Have you been able to secure the cage against the cat, or was it damaged in anyway? If that were an issue in any way I would fix that as first concern.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:37 pm

Ditto on the above.

But weigh your guinea pig frequently so you can monitor him for any signs of illness.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:50 pm

Ditto Talishan. You want to make extra precautions against the cat too.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:51 pm

Are your guinea pigs still housed outdoors? Was this an outdoor cat?

laura605

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:06 pm

The cage wasn't broken but they have a open pen to run around in, around the cage and i think that's where the cat got them but I'm going to make sure the one left over will be kept in it's cage tonight, no open pen.

and

Yes, my guineapigs are housed outdoors and the cat was relevantley new to the area and housed outdoors, my dad dosn't allow me to keep them inside.
Last edited by laura605 on Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:08 pm

Read www.guinealynx.info/.html The guinea pig must still be very frightened. If your pig is not eating, you absolutely must hand feed.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:08 pm

If your guinea pig is still housed outdoors, I wouldn't get anymore guinea pigs until you have a safer situation.

Your poor remaining guy is probably traumatized by what happened. You should bring him inside. He is likely more scared by all the different noises and just the slightest hint of another predator.

edit: even though your guinea pigs were just killed because they were forced to live outside?

GuineaPinny

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:16 pm

I agree with sus. I don't think getting new guinea pigs is a good idea because they might be able to go to homes where they could live indoors, and in the meantime maybe you could be extra attentive to your remaining pig, and possibly bring him inside.

I say possibly because I don't know your circumstances, but if you want this one to live he should be brought indoors. If you are unable to bring him indoors don't get more pigs that might be killed outdoors.

If you are able to be very attentive to your pig he might be okay without mates. Lynx provided some really good links and suggestions. It will be important to monitor him whether he is alone or with new guinea pigs regardless, and I imagine that would be easiest to do if he were indoors near the family.

(Sorry if your guinea pig is a girl, I wasn't sure).

Sorry again for your loss.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:47 pm

I'm so sorry you lost your pigs that way. Maybe you can persuade your Dad to let your remaining pig come indoors so it won't happen again.