2 guineapigs dead, 1 still living, will it die?

laura605

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:48 pm

I'm going to the pet store soon to buy some more bedding and food, hopefully that'll cheer him up and if i do manage to get him indoors, wouldn't the sudden scenery change effect him? e.g. the different atmosphere.

klynne

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:53 pm

Laura605, can you get the surviving pig a good thorough vet check?

My concern is a cat bite that may have broken the skin. That would be very tough to find, if it's just a puncture or two--and cat's mouths are notoriously full of deadly bacteria.

In fact, most small animals killed by cats are not immediately killed but rather die later due to the infection.

I'm sorry for your loss, sorry you are having difficulty getting the adults in your family to understand the need for him to live indoors safely, and hope you can get him to a vet soon.

lisam

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:12 pm

I'm sorry for the loss of the two pigs, it must have been a horrible terrifying death for them.

I suggest you either find a way to keep the remaining pig indoors, or find him a new home. Perhaps some day when you live on your own you can adopt a pair and keep them indoors.

klynne

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:15 pm

Oh, and you didn't mention this, but just in case, as I know emotions must be high--please don't take any revenge on the cat. It was just doing what loose cats do, when their owners do not keep them safely home.

The pigs were not protected properly, sadly, and the cat wasn't either, with tragic results for the pigs. I hope the cat fares better.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:07 pm

Ugh. Are you in the UK? This is just another tragic example of what happens when guinea pigs aren't housed properly. I agree with the other members who suggest you wait until you can keep your guinea pig safely indoors before you even consider getting another.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:07 pm

Change in scenery shouldn't be an issue. It may take his mind off what happened.

Give him lots of attention and good food.