Can fresh grass replace veggies?

Lauritxu

Post   » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:51 am

I moved 2 months ago to my current house and it has a garden. The grass is safe and has no pesticides (Some plants are getting bugs but I'm afraid of ruining the grass!) The piggys love grass over any other veggies and ask for more food when I don't give it to them. My question is if I could feed them just grass for breakfast and give them veggies for dinner.

Poor Baby Cuzko
My piggy made me give!

Post   » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:08 am

You can give grass in addition to veggies, but I don't think it should take the place of grass. And introduce the grass slowly so their systems can get used to it, if they haven't had it much before.

Lauritxu

Post   » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:15 am

Ziggy and Hemingway have been having grass quite a long time. I used to go to the park and get it (not a very good idea...). I'll be careful with JD as he started having grass 2 weeks ago (it seems his poos are ok but I don't know if that's the only symptom)

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:32 am

My question is if I could feed them just grass for breakfast and give them veggies for dinner.
Sure you can.

Many pigs only get veggies once a day.

Feylin

Post   » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:59 am

I had a grass question that I'll add on here to avoid clutter.

Is there anything I should be careful of when giving grass for the first time? I finally found a grass source that is clean and pesticide free! The owners don't cut it ever so it's nice and long and green.

As far as I know, the pigs have never had any grass to eat. How much should I give them to start off? How long does it take them to get adjusted? Should I watch anything else besides their poops? (I'm thinking of gas.)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:57 am

Ditto Mum. You can certainly give them grass for breakfast. Just introduce slowly so they can get used to it. Start with a big handful. Work up.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:39 pm

Ditto Lynx. Introduce the grass slowly if they are not used to it. It can cause digestive upset.

Lauritxu

Post   » Thu May 01, 2008 3:02 am

Thanks very much. I wanted to be sure I'm doing the right thing.