Essential oils and fungal infection

1921kathryn

Post   » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:57 am

above - Wanita approx 10 days later after olive oil rub, 2 washes with Nizoral still has slight crusting around eyes and jaw that I'm having issues with removing as I don't want to get anything is her eyes, if I don't get to it I feel she will just be reinfected :( Maybe fungal cream with a cotton bud?)

above - Fresh scratch cuts (not as bad as it may appear as there is dry blood) but still a little worrying

above - In her temporary cardboard box hotel (after throwing old hutch out) loves timothy hay, and pop corned quite a bit before this shot was taken

Overall she is improving but this has happened before (tho not as severe) hopefully if I treat more aggressively and for longer she will eventually be back to her gorgeous self

I've never seen her with a full body of healthy hair for about 5 months now

Sorry the pics are so big haven't quited figured out how to crop yet

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:09 am

Thanks for the update. I fixed your pics up (made them smaller and added them also).

It's possible a body bandage would help prevent her from biting. www.guinealynx.info/.html

Good luck.

1921kathryn

Post   » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:37 pm

Thank you Lynx

1921kathryn

Post   » Mon May 05, 2008 9:37 am

Hello everyone it's been 4 weeks since I've posted

I've been treating Wanita very aggressively now for severe fungal condition for approx 3 weeks. It has been an utter nightmare, and I am currently lying on the couch run down with a bad flu, I am forced to have a rest from treating her at the moment, I just can't physically do it. The past month has really taken an emotional toll, I have tried my best!

I've been treating her with fungal cream, neem oil, olive oil, coconut oil, nizoral shampoo once a week and giving her daktarin oral gel for internal fungal, vit c boost, washed and changed bedding daily

Her hair is growing back nicely but there is noticeable dandruff especially around her facial area, I just pray to god that this is what is called "scrufing" as the skin heals itself otherwise I feel that nothing I have done has been effective.

Her weight is steady 500g and she eats well but I feel she's rather small for a guinea pig of 9 months

She seemed to be improving a week or so ago more relaxed and longer in the body, but tonight looking at her she seems extremely hunched up almost like she's sitting on her back legs when she's eating

I just don't know what to do anymore guys, my heart has been broken and just thinking about her now brings me to tears

Kath x

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon May 05, 2008 9:40 am

At this stage I think I'd treat with Revolution.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 05, 2008 9:47 am

What a tough time for you. Have you used miconizole cream? Have you used Program? I think you need something stronger for the likely fungal problem. Revolution is a good idea too.

www.guinealynx.info/.html

1921kathryn

Post   » Mon May 05, 2008 10:07 am

Thanks, got some revolution in the cabinet from the vet some weeks ago, I haven't used it yet tho as I assumed it was for mites?

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Mon May 05, 2008 10:12 am

I am so sorry that you are nearing the point of emotional exhastion. I understand that these little guys can take a toll on us, especially when they are not well, but please try and recollect yourself. Take a deep breath, think positive, and know in your heart that she needs you right now. Without your help she is not going to get better, and she will be in pain. I know you don't want that.

I am worried about her weight. Are you handfeeding her every two to three hours with Critical Care?

1921kathryn

Post   » Mon May 05, 2008 10:20 am

Not using critical care but feed her all she can eat do you think she is rather small for her age?

By the way Lynx I'm using clotrimazole cream, is miconizole cream stronger?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon May 05, 2008 10:23 am

If there's any doubt at all what this fungal infection is give her some oral cat Program.

I'd also give her Revolution. I know you've treated for mites, but sometimes mites can be very, very persistent. You want to make sure you've covered all your bases, here.

1921kathryn

Post   » Mon May 05, 2008 10:30 am

Hey Mum I'd like to try the oral cat program, I'm in Australia, do you know if I can order it from the US?

1921kathryn

Post   » Mon May 05, 2008 10:46 am

Sorry Mum have just researched and found program online, just read the guinea lynx fungal info also, the Clotrimazole cream I have been using is one of the creams listed.

I'll give her a wash as soon as I can drag my tragic self off the couch and try the revolution, and order some program somethings gotta work!!