Chopping Vegetables?

rshevin

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:33 pm

My babes are upstairs where they don't really hear me prepping dinner anymore. No worries though, they get super excited at their cue word, "snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack."

Alibabble

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:48 pm

My herbivores get excited when I start singing our Veggie Time song. Timothy runs over to the side of the cage and chews on the bars, and the rabbits start hopping in circles.

I toss in whole leaves of lettuce but cut large chunks of other things. Parsley, cilantro and kale go in whole too. Since I only have Timothy at the moment I don't have to worry about veggie theft. He's also really great about eating whole grape tomatoes, in the past I've had pigs (well, Gavin) who would refuse to eat anything that was not cut open.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:55 pm

I am just dying to hear Alibabbble's Veggie Time song!

I buy a lot of mixed field green's at Sam's and since they're baby leaves, they're usually the right size and don't require further work. It makes life simpler. I will rip some lettuces into smaller pieces and some I won't. Other fruits and veggies, except for baby carrots which are an occasional treat, get sliced or cubed into piggy-sized pieces.

Feylin

Post   » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:32 pm

Stomp, The Cage Of Mens here approves of anything that is manly. So tearing things up with your bear hands is approved! I think I'll start giving them whole lettuce leaves and watch them try to drag them off some where.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Tue May 06, 2008 5:13 pm

My pigs new 'must have' veg. Pea shoots.
I only feed a little in with their other salad veg but this now goes first. The pack says high in Vit C but not sure if there is anything that may be not so good for piggies in great amounts. They taste of ... peas. :·)

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue May 06, 2008 5:15 pm

I rarely chop the greens. I will chop pepper or tomato.

GuineaPiggin

Post   » Tue May 06, 2008 5:29 pm

I typically chop up green peppers. But that's mostly so I can put it on their hanging toy and make them work to get it off. ^_^

gpgrandma
Supporter in '07

Post   » Tue May 06, 2008 5:46 pm

Ok, I must be nuts.

I buy several kinds of greens, bring them home, chop them, rinse them, spin dry them, then mix all into a big tupperware bowl or bowls. Lola and Nutmeg get a "handful" of the mix twice a day. It's fun to watch them root around their bowls to find just the right piece of lettuce or parsley or kale or whatever to munch first.

Nutmeg is, well, a pig--she gobbles her portion down just as fast as she can. She still hasn't learned that the "hand" won't take away the "bowl" and that more food always shows up. Lola, however, is a grazer--nibbles all day. Sometimes I think it is just to torment Nutmeg--like Lola can say "nanny nanny boo boo--I still have veggies and you don't"! That's why they are neighbors and not roomies.