Mr. Piggy Hooting

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue May 06, 2008 7:13 pm

I'm sorry StF. This is terribly frustrating for you. Hopefully you can get a copy of the x-ray.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Tue May 06, 2008 8:37 pm

Fingers and paws crossed on getting yourself a copy tomorrow!

EllieMom

Post   » Tue May 06, 2008 10:43 pm

I do wish vets would take concerned and informed caretakers more seriously than they do. You know Mr. Piggy better than anyone else does and can see the subtle things that a 15-minute check, even one by a competent doctor, will miss. Now, back on the treadmill, little guy!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed May 07, 2008 9:50 pm

The extraordinarily frustrating thing about this is that this is a vet that takes concerned, knowledgeable, educated and informed caretakers seriously. She knows about GL and respects our knowledge, history, and extensive medical, if anecdotal, experience.

Agh.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Thu May 08, 2008 10:46 am

He was doing it faintly and sporadically this morning. I tried to catch it on video (for the sound!). Pump up the volume because it's hard to hear and about 13 seconds into the video.

This sound on Monday was MUCH louder and kept on for about 5-10 minutes. I wish I'd been alert enough to get the camera out that day.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu May 08, 2008 10:51 am

Yes, that's clearly hooting. Can you show this to your vet?

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Thu May 08, 2008 11:13 am

Poor guy.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Thu May 08, 2008 11:45 am

Poor baby, definitely hooting. It would be great if there were some way to let your vet hear/see this video.

Leb
Supporter in '08

Post   » Thu May 08, 2008 11:56 am

Can I just say one thing. For any person or animal with heart disease an enlarged heart is only one type of heart disease. You can have several other types of heart disease where the heart isn't enlarged at all.

My pig has a deformed valve which was only identified by the second sonogram. It is called Mitral Valve Regurgitation, he doesn't have an enlarged heart at all.

If the hooting doesn't stop a heart mediciation trial wouldn't hurt him. Or try a sonogram instead of an x-ray.

EllieMom

Post   » Thu May 08, 2008 11:58 am

Thank you and Mr. P for posting the video with sound. I was trying to imagine what hooting sounded like before. I'm not sure I would have recognized it. Now that I hear Mr. Piggy, it makes sense. Hopefully, you can get him treated so that you'll never have to hear it again.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Thu May 08, 2008 12:31 pm

So that is what hooting sounds like...?!?
Thank you for posting the video, I always have a hard time imagining what hooting really sounds like.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Thu May 08, 2008 3:29 pm

It was even more clear on Monday. I have my camera at the ready for each episode, which have clearly been happening in the mornings.

Yes, Mum, I can bring the camera in to the vet. I need to make sure, though, that I can get the volume up high enough.

Oh, and Leb, I don't think my vet has sonogram equipment. I'll probably have to take a trip to UGA for that. Unless GVS has the means to do it. They did an MRI on my dog so maybe they have ultrasound equipment too.