Soft droppings

Yuugi

Post   » Thu May 08, 2008 2:39 pm

Her poops are again tear shaped and mooshy,she has now lost 80 grams/2.8oz since this all started.

I have a feeling this vet doesn't have a clue about what she's doing since she didn't even analized Momo's poop and totally missed Lilly(my other sow) bald spots on the bum.

somechick

Post   » Thu May 08, 2008 3:17 pm

You should probably get a fecal done, and maybe a culture / gram stain to see if there's any bacteria or parasites in there. If there's something going on, it won't get better without treatment.

And many folks will tell you skin scrapings aren't very useful. If you suspect mites, you can easily treat yourself at home with Ivermectin.

Yuugi

Post   » Thu May 08, 2008 3:20 pm

Here in Finland we can't buy Invermectin or Selamectin, it can only be done at the vet office or through prescription.

I still insisted on finishing the treatment for my two older sows(they had the first shot a week before) and starting a treatment for the new little one.

If in the morning her poops haven't improved i'm just going to call there and see if they will do those tests. If not i'm just going to try yet another vet.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Thu May 08, 2008 5:34 pm

I find it odd that people are discussing my poops on the internet... :p

I too would recommend a fecal sample culture.
Do you feel comfortable with this current vet, if not, it is never to early to start looking for a real cavy savvy vet around your neighborhood.
they do not come easy, but once you find one, knowledgeable vets are priceless.

Yuugi

Post   » Thu May 08, 2008 6:05 pm

Hehe hope your digestive system is doing fine Momo XD!

I'm going to wait until tommorow to see if her poops are still mooshy, if so i'll ring this new vet to see what she wants to do. If she won't do these exams i'll just try yet another vet. It's just that i'm running out of small animal doctors around these parts x_X

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Thu May 08, 2008 6:16 pm

Hehe hope your digestive system is doing fine Momo XD!
Momo the hooman has the right to remain silent. :)

Wishing little momo the best, sending her ninja good poop vibes.

Yuugi

Post   » Fri May 09, 2008 4:54 am

Called the vet, the one taking care of her wasn't there so another one came to the phone.
My husband explained that her poops were soft since Friday and that removing veggies didn't solve the problem and she blamed it on the Invermectin injection and that i should wait for 2 weeks for it to improve and not give her any veggies until then...

Somehow this doesn't sound good?

Yuugi

Post   » Fri May 09, 2008 5:43 am

Ok, sorry i've been posting so much!
Called yet another vet(last one in the list). She said that it can't be the invermectin. So she told me to watch her poops for the weekend, and if they get normal again i should only re-introduce veggies to her in a week, so it doesn't upset her tummy again.
If they remain soft i should go there on Monday.

What do you think?

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Fri May 09, 2008 11:24 am

I don't think it is the Ivomec since our herd has never had an issue with their doses.
Is she gassy? does the poops have a stronger odor then her regular ones? and does it have an odd shape or a slimy feel to it?

Yuugi

Post   » Fri May 09, 2008 11:59 am

Actually since the mid-morning her poops are normal shapped and no longer soft. Well they are a bit soft when they are fresh but that's normal no? I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and see if they continue to be normal.

When she was having soft poops they were tear shapped and a bit more smelly than usual yes. I don't think i'd call them slimy though, just soft.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Fri May 09, 2008 12:12 pm

I am not a vet tech, but I am guessing gas and/or perhaps irritated GI lining.
McMac gets gassy and have tear dropped poops once in a while, I dose him with 2 consecutive doses of Simithecone and cut out his veggies for a day.
Do you have any baby gas drops available?

I hope our medical moderators will see this and come to aid soon.

EllieMom

Post   » Fri May 09, 2008 12:17 pm

It does sound like things are improving a bit, at least I hope so. That's all I'm going to say because, even though I've been immersed in guinea pig poo (both figuratively and, sometimes, literally) for the past couple of weeks, I'm not one of the experts. I can sympathize with you, though, and send good thoughts Momo's way.