Rescue pig Piglet

lisam

Post   » Thu May 08, 2008 1:50 am

Today I took in a sad case--a classroom pig who is partially paralyzed in her back legs.

Two weeks ago a parent took her to the vet because she was dragging both back legs. The vet diagnosed scurvy, and gave her a C shot. A week later she went back and got another C shot and some Metacam.

She has a nice healthy coat, not the hair loss and dryness I've seen with C deficiency before. She hasn't had much in the way of veggies and greens until her vet visit. The parent who took her under her wing copied off the C chart of veggies from GL and has been giving her veggies highest in C.

The parent said that there is slight improvement in one leg. She does seem to be able to get it under her a bit, but the other one just drags. The foot itself looks a bit atrophied.

I have an appointment for an xray and exam with my own vet early next week. I'm thinking calcium deficiency (she's not a satin, though), injury, or arthritis. Am I forgetting anything? Injury because apparently the kids at the school weren't always gentle with her, and arthritis because of her possible old age.

She's been a classroom pet for 2 years, a parent had gotten her off of craigslist and gave her to the teacher. No idea of how old she is, but she's got that bony backside that could either be from age or malnutrition.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Thu May 08, 2008 1:59 am

An x ray would be good.

Could she have been dropped?

Poor thing.

lisam

Post   » Thu May 08, 2008 2:10 am

I think it's a definite possibility.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Thu May 08, 2008 3:04 am

Poor Piglet. Regardless of what happened to her, it sounds like she's in good hands now. Seeing as there's some improvement, it's unlikely that it's a spinal injury, isn't it? Maybe once diagnosed, she should have some therapy to keep that atrophied limb moving.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu May 08, 2008 6:48 pm

Any evidence of pain or discomfort?

Bless you and thank you for helping her.

Kermie831

Post   » Thu May 08, 2008 7:16 pm

To add to Bethie's Therapy suggestion - When our scurvy pigs came home - one with severe joint issues. Our vet suggested warm water soaks in the sink, just enough to cover her joints and bend them slowly. Just like water aerobics for those with arthritis. She loved it! (GuineaPinny's Peachie also liked her aquacize!)

lisam

Post   » Thu May 08, 2008 7:46 pm

Talishan,

Yes, she does seem uncomfortable when being held, and even cried out a couple of times when moved. She didn't cry when I gently manipulated the leg, though.

I'm not handling her much until I get the xrays and see what's up. I forgot to check her teeth, though! I've had pigs with scurvy before who's teeth were all brown and chipped. I'll check later today.

EllieMom

Post   » Thu May 08, 2008 9:58 pm

I would think as a classroom pig, too, she may not be used to gentle hands. So she might expect pain when someone tries to hold her, too, no matter how gently someone treats her now.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri May 09, 2008 5:55 pm

Please keep us posted on what you hear from the vet next week.

lisam

Post   » Fri May 09, 2008 7:18 pm

Okay, her teeth are nice, white, and strong. I really doubt this is a case of scurvy.

That leaves injury, arthritis (which could come with the injury, I suppose), and calcium deficiency. However, since it seems as though she can move one of the back legs, I'm leaning towards injury.

Yes, I will definitely let you know what we discover from the vet on Tuesday.

lisam

Post   » Sat May 10, 2008 1:14 am

I received some more info from the parent who brought her to me today. Apparently one of the girls tried to put Piglet on her back (the girl's own back) and she fell off. This same girl is the one who took her home when she came back with the injury.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat May 10, 2008 2:44 am

Oh, poor Piglet. I hope her vet visit goes well.

She is so lucky to be in your home now, Lisam.