Rescue pig Piglet

Momto3boys

Post   » Sat May 10, 2008 8:01 am

oh goodness, how sad :( why in the world do teachers think they need classroom pets??

I hope she makes a full recovery and shes lucky to be with you!!

bandi09

Post   » Sat May 10, 2008 10:04 am

That poor little pig. That little girl or the teacher should pay the vet bills. They should not be allowed to neglect or mishandle an animal and get away with it.

If my duaghter hurt and animal, even if it was an accident (that little girl who put the pig on her back probably was an accident) I would feel horrible and make may daughter either pay out of her allowance or work around the house to pay for the bill.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat May 10, 2008 7:26 pm

Lisam, about how long ago was this? Do you know?

lisam

Post   » Sat May 10, 2008 8:22 pm

Unfortunately, it happened more than two weeks ago. The mom that brought her to me took matters into her own hands when nothing was being done for the poor pig. The first vet visit was two weeks ago, then another visit last week. The vet kept with the diagnosis of scurvy. I think because there was some improvement in the one leg.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun May 11, 2008 6:38 pm

Kudos to the mom that stepped in to help her (and you too, of course, for taking her).

Can you give her a moderate (say, arthritis) dose of Metacam between now and her vet visit?

lisam

Post   » Sun May 11, 2008 10:41 pm

Yes, good idea, Talishan. I thought I was out, but found some in the medicine cabinet.

lisam

Post   » Tue May 13, 2008 5:24 pm

Back from our vet visit!

The xrays showed no broken bones, or even cracks. There was a little "bowing" of both femurs but she thinks it's from the original malnutrition/lack of C in her diet.

At this point, it looks as though there could have been nerve damage. Since the injury (the vet thinks that's what definitely happened) was over a month ago by now, the legs have atrophied from lack of use, which makes it harder to get her to use them, especially the one.

Metacam, and some "physical therapy" on my part a few times a day. The vet wants to try some acupuncture as well. Oh, and she gave her a vitamin B shot.

This pig is so darn cute. She kept murmuring to me the whole time, not in pain really, just a bit concerned. I'm a bit worried about what to do with her while we go on our vacation at the end of the month.

Fourboys4now

Post   » Tue May 13, 2008 7:40 pm

I'm so glad you are there for this pig, thanks for caring for her. I hope she recovers well and soon.

lisam

Post   » Wed May 14, 2008 1:10 am

What's strange is that she already seems to be using the one leg a little better already! Would the vitamin B shot make that much of a difference?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu May 15, 2008 6:49 pm

It certainly could. The B complex is essential to nerve and nervous system function. A shot will also make them feel noticeably better very quickly.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Fri May 16, 2008 12:35 am

That is fantastic news. I was on B6 for my neurological problem. Hopefully, she will continue to improve. I wonder if improved diet will help, or if she has a B processing problem and will need to continue to be supplimented.

lisam

Post   » Fri May 16, 2008 1:05 am

She's moving around more, and getting the better foot underneath her more, but still tends to drag the right leg. I'm not sure if this is a good idea, but I've been scattering her goodies around so that she has to move more.