Fleece preparation driving me MAD!

pigsforlife3

Post   » Sun May 11, 2008 12:09 am

I purchased 2 fleece throws last week, and since then I have washed it 4 or so times and soaked it overnight yet still it isnt wicking through - just pooling on top.

Am I doing something wrong? I put the fleece in the washing machine, dont add anything (should I be?), then let it dry on the line before testing it.

I just want to get it working!

Quinc-Emma

Post   » Sun May 11, 2008 12:11 am

I Have the SAME problem!! it's driving me crazy!

GuineaPiggin

Post   » Sun May 11, 2008 12:12 am

I washed mine twice. First time with bleach, then while still in the washer washed it a second time with vinegar. Then dried it on the air setting of the drier. No pooling liquids.

Just my two cents. Good luck! I can't wait to go back to my fleece soon here (have to use shavings over the winter).

pigsforlife3

Post   » Sun May 11, 2008 12:24 am

I am going to try that GP, am also going to put it on a warmer setting. Hopefully that will help some.

Quinc-Emma

Post   » Sun May 11, 2008 12:37 am

I put a lot of vinegar in the water and turned the setting to hot. so hopefully this works..

Aertyn

Post   » Sun May 11, 2008 12:58 am

I always wash in cold water, and I always use at least 500ml of white Vinegar. Though I do sort of 'slosh' it in...never measured :P

GuineaPiggin

Post   » Sun May 11, 2008 2:06 am

Same here Aertyn. Wash cold and "slosh" in the vinegar, I just guess about how much goes in, but is relatively the same each load.

pigsforlife3

Post   » Sun May 11, 2008 2:20 am

I generally wash cold as well, just read on GPC that people have had luck on a warmer setting.

pigsforlife3

Post   » Sun May 11, 2008 2:29 am

IT WORKS! After 7 washes (4 of which were on cold, 3 on warm) and one overnight soaking we are finally wicking properly. YAY!

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Sun May 11, 2008 8:36 am

Glad to hear you got it. I always wash new fleece on warm, double cycle and usually have to wash and dry it five times. I love the look of new fleece, but I hate prepping it.

Aertyn

Post   » Sun May 11, 2008 8:59 am

Oh Ash, forgot to tell you!

Lincraft has fleece blankets (some really cute prints too!) for $12...they are 1.5 metres by 2 metres.

I have an obsession with fleece...so far I've got, oh lord...9 blankets :P

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Sun May 11, 2008 9:18 am

Aertyn, I have so many, I am not even sure how many sets I have :P