Fleece preparation driving me MAD!

Aertyn

Post   » Sun May 11, 2008 9:34 am

Yes well, my pigs don't even live in permanent C+C's yet lol! And when they do (8 weeks to go!) it's only going to be two cages...eep :P

rshevin

Post   » Sun May 11, 2008 9:56 am

I haven't had to prep mine that much for some reason. Remember that the fleece has to have something absorbent right underneath for it to wick properly.

babytulip07

Post   » Sun May 11, 2008 10:36 am

I prepped mine about 5 times in the hottest setting, worked perfectly.

rshevin

Post   » Sun May 11, 2008 10:42 am

I forgot to add, I also found being sure to add vinegar to the rinse cycle made a TON more lint in the dryer. I'm assuming more lint = more prepping = more wicking. Maybe. Anyway, I washed my anti-pill fleece from hancock 3 times in hot water with detergent and vinegar and dried 3 times. It felt like my old blankets and seems to work well already. Oddly, the patterned arctic fleece (I think that's the name) hasn't prepped nearly as quickly. It still feels smooth and thick.

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the anti-pill fleece pills up the fastest?

Feylin

Post   » Mon May 12, 2008 9:49 am

ha, yes I noticed the same thing rshevin. The anti-pill does seem to prep the fastest and work best, though. That blizzard/arctic fleece never worked so well for me.

Quinc-Emma

Post   » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:28 am

is thick fleece or thin fleece the best?

Jasmaya

Post   » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:07 pm

I had a bit of luck with my new anti pill fleece by washing it the first time with detergent and warm water with 2 rinses. I then dried this on low.

The second wash I used warm water and vinegar in about the same qty that is said above and used a single rinse. I then dried this on med and the fleece seemed fine after that.

Hmm, I guess it just depends on the fleece :(

Feylin

Post   » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:02 pm

I think it's best to just wash and then dry it A LOT. Like go through the whole cycle 5 times. Highly annoying but it works.

I use the anti pill fleece. Blizzard and polar fleece never wicks properly for me even though it has the neatest patterns.

mistymu

Post   » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:17 am

when u dry is this just hang on the line natural drying or using a dryer?

SardonicSmile

Post   » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:00 am

My fleece goes on the line, when it comes out of the washing machine it is already mostly dry.
The towels I use underneath go in the drier, because when they air dry they get stiff, in the dryer they are soft.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:33 am

I use a drier for both. You just have to be really, really careful to clean out your lint filter -- even old fleece leaves lots of lint.

Sidera17

Post   » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:09 pm

With me, it's always been hit or miss. Some of my fleece STILL won't wick, others wick fine. I've tried blizzard and anti-pill- had more luck with the blizzard.