New rescue: Underweight Boar

rshevin

Post   » Mon May 12, 2008 11:16 pm

Thank you for the links. Smudgie's eye certainly doesn't seem as severe as Meg's, thankfully but Frosting's seems to have disappeared. That information seems to confirm what I found. No one really knows what it is, what causes it, or how to treat other than symptomatically. Smudgie doesn't appear to be in any pain, but I have metacam leftover and keep saline in my emergency kit. Can always get gel tears from the pharmacy if needed.

I realized I neglected to note that this eye may have more excess grooming fluid than the other. This has been common to Smudgie since he came home. I'm positive it's grooming fluid and not discharge as it's white and crumbly.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon May 12, 2008 11:19 pm

I had a pig here with this. She was pretty much blind, but it didn't seem to bother her at all. It seems to occur in some pigs as they age.

rshevin

Post   » Mon May 12, 2008 11:25 pm

Thanks Mum. My mom was actually the first to notice, and what ya'll are saying is exactly what I remembered reading. I'm so glad I finally remembered to post and get a confirmation. You can never know too much.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue May 13, 2008 7:00 pm

"He has a booda belly but is thin along the spine and hips, which may be typical of age."

Yup. Big time. We have one that reminds me of nothing so much as an elderly horse.

Try not to stress too much about his weight unless he begins to lose. IME he had too little for too long to gain much. He will be a happy, content, very well fed and very well cared for lightweight for the rest of his life. Nothing wrong with that. ;-)

We have one developing the osseous metaplasia and he looks *exactly* like Smudgie's case. He seems not to even notice it as of yet.

rshevin

Post   » Tue May 13, 2008 7:23 pm

I have finally stopped worrying about his weight (mostly) because his behavior is so perky. He is bright and cheery and very active. A horse lady who met Smudgie actually said the exact same thing, he feels like a very old horse who's been out at pasture. In addition to his past history, his higher activity level and love of hay seem to also contribute to his lighter weight. He also has a generally small frame.

Of course, I always wish there was some more weight on him in case he ever gets sick. He wouldn't have survived what Piggy went through with stones.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue May 13, 2008 7:25 pm

" ... weight on him in case he ever gets sick."

That's my biggest worry, too. I don't want them unhealthily heavy; we've had two with chronic UTI's because there wasn't enough room for their bladders with all the fat (!). They stayed scrunched.

One is much healthier now, but I worry about her loss of reserve if she ever gets seriously ill.

rshevin

Post   » Tue May 13, 2008 7:28 pm

That balance is tough. I am trying my hardest not to have Piggy regain all the weight he lost. He was, previously, 1400+g. My ideal is to keep him between 1250 and 1300. I think that would suit his frame with still a small padding for illness. Smudgie would be best at 1000g but has decided he'd much rather be 950. 50g on Piggy is no big deal but you'd really notice it on little Smudge.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:49 pm

::big sigh::

Smudgie has a, something, on his side. A cyst I guess. It's just caudal to his hip bone on his right.

It's about the size of a pencil eraser.

I guess we need to go to the vet? It doesn't look open and doesn't appear painful. I checked him as best I could and didn't see any more. It's hard with his long, crazy fur.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:52 pm

Could just be a cyst, but I'd get it checked out. Some cysts don't do anything, others have to be lanced.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:54 pm

I think I'll try to bring them both in. Piggy's foot still isn't 100%. I'm on the search for Telfa pads today so I can wrap him. I guess this is part of having two senior piggies.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:15 pm

My guess is sebaceous cyst. The vet will squeeze it (very much to Smudge's displeasure), get a bunch of goo out, and that'll be it. I hope I'm right.

Sending empathy on caring for seniors, big-time. Even if the care is not terribly expensive, it can be very time- (and attention-, and worry-) consuming.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:38 pm

But, Talishan, they're worth every minute : )