20+ guinea pigs in shelter in San Gabriel need help!

Charybdis

Post   » Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:00 pm

I received an email today that there are at least 20 guinea pigs of different ages and sexes, all housed together in very poor conditions, at the San Gabriel Humane Society. They are set to be euthanized tomorrow.

I will be going to the shelter first thing in the morning to separate the sexes and assess the sick.

We need major help here. The board has put a freeze on the rescue due to the recent adoption returns. They won't let me take any in.

I need volunteers, fosters, support, a few extra hands, and supplies if I'm going to help these pigs.

Can anyone help?

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:09 pm

I'm right by San Gabriel. I can't take in anymore pigs and I have class in weird chunks of the day but I can sneak away for a few hours at a time to help any way I can.

I'm free in the morning until 1. Then I'll be free 2ish til 6.

Charybdis

Post   » Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:10 pm

Thank God, Amy--I was just about to call you. Can you meet me at the shelter in the morning?

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:10 pm

I have a lab in the morning but I can probably get there around 10. Is that too late?

Charybdis

Post   » Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:37 pm

I will be there at 9. The volunteer thinks that she can get me in early.

So far, I've found a place for 2.

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:28 am

Here's where things are right now:

Chunkypiggies and I are going to go down there in the a.m. to do triage and take pictures. We have another volunteer coming to help bathe and medicate.

Fenella in San Diego says she can take as many as 12 and I will be driving them down there after we sort out everything at the shelter. I can take 5.

This leaves somewhere in the vicinity of 10 pigs who are in danger of being euthanized very soon. Moms and babies too.

Apparently, they were seized by AC from a private residence. This is a high-kill shelter that charges a 5$ adoption fee.

KidCatGerbilMom

Post   » Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:32 am

Oh my I wish I lived there I would take in as many as I could...But I am way up here in Seattle :-( Best of luck to those poor piggies though!

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:32 am

And remember... we likely have pregnant pigs too. So we need fosters and homes for unborn pups.

Better start posting some flyers up. I'll visit some vet offices this week.

KCGM- Thanks! We can fedex a few pigs to you! ;-)
Love your sig.

BlueMoon

Post   » Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:09 am

You can Fedex a few to me in Atlanta.

KidCatGerbilMom

Post   » Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:34 am

<waits patiently for her delivery from the FedEx man>

jennylynn
GL Junkie

Post   » Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:26 pm

Hey Chary, if you have a male Abby with a somewhat submissive personality in that bunch (Joey is an in-your-face kind of guy sometimes), I'd be willing to give him a home. The only problem is I can't really drive too far... (I'm the on-call person for the next 2 months and have to be able to get back to work in a timely fashion, should a situation arise.)

Think it would be possible to somehow work out transportation?

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:29 pm

I believe they are all Americans. Most are super tiny, some not even weaned yet. There are two older females that are very pregnant. All went ok. One pig has very bad mites, other than that, the pigs look to be in decent condition.

With permission from Chary.. I can post some pix :) I should have them all cropped and loaded on my ImageEvent page by late late tonight.

Hope the transport is going well, chary.