Essential oils and fungal infection

1921kathryn

Post   » Wed May 07, 2008 9:47 am

Maybe the revolution helped Mum?

Hard to say as yesterday was the day I finally washed all the meds and oil off her hair and basically finished 3 weeks of intense treatment.

By the way don't think she was ever wormed, could it also be a possibility that she may have had worms and the revolution fixed it up?

Can worms make a pig sick and crusty? I should check it out

xx

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed May 07, 2008 9:50 am

Can worms make a pig sick and crusty? I should check it out
Never heard of it. Worms are pretty rare.

The Revolution may have done the job - at any rate, it's so good that she's a happy pig!

1921kathryn

Post   » Tue May 20, 2008 7:00 am

Still treating Wanita for fungal (in the 6th week) she doing well, with the odd fungal patch here and there, she still needs to put on alot of weight but her hair is growing back nicely. I've posted a pic below

A new question

I've noticed just lately she drags her bum on the ground at times (only for a second) mainly after peeing like she's trying to wipe herself, sometimes also she does this on fresh grass that I put down for her, is this normal behavior?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue May 20, 2008 9:24 am

I've never seen a sow do this, but boars often do it to leave their scent.

Are you 100% sure she's a girl?

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Tue May 20, 2008 10:43 am

Good news on Wanita! What a lot of hard nursing you've done. It's especially hard when one is sick (as you were with flu).

My sows occasionally do the bum-drag thing. I think you can relax if it isn't continual.

1921kathryn

Post   » Tue May 20, 2008 9:13 pm

She's stopped doing it today, did a search, she probably was in heat, she certainly was acting very strangely last night, following me around the house, running from one room to the other like she was on speed, then she'd drag her bum, very peculiar but funny, the stranger thing is I got my period today it should have been me acting all weird last night, maybe I transfered PMT onto her ;)

The treatment has been a nightmare, very upsetting, I basically didn't do anything but look after her for a month. Then I got really sick it was like ok Wanita my turn now. It's alot easier now just rubbing some suspicious spots with fungal cream twice daily

I feel so bad for some of the other piggies and their slaves on GL knowing the stress they have to go through.

I've gotta say a HUGE thanks to someone very special at Thistle Cavies. She guided me through all this via emails, as her condition was so advanced I don't think Wanita would be around today if it wasn't for her help, she was our backbone xx

Hope this is ok to mention

Hopefully I can post a pic of Wanita all rounded and fluffly in a few months, maybe I mentioned before she's so tiny 525g for a 10 month old pig, you would not believe how much I feed her!

Also looking forward to maybe helping someone with a similar problem

THANKS EVERYONE AT GL what a great forum xx

rshevin

Post   » Tue May 20, 2008 10:39 pm

Keep up the good work with the medication. Hopefully all her fungal spots will resolve soon. Be sure anything that could possibly transfer these fungal spores around is cleaned well. One thing that can be over looked is your finger nails. Try to get those cage nooks and crannies cleaned well too. You're obviously already doing lots of cleaning or she wouldn't have healed up this much yet, just trying to point out a few potentially forgotten spots.

With such a lengthy illness during her growing time, I suppose it's possible she'll be permanently stunted in growth. I'm glad you have a scale. Keep a close eye on her in case there's something else making her not gain, but all you can do is watch, love, and give lots and lots of tasty, healthy snacks.

1921kathryn

Post   » Tue May 20, 2008 11:55 pm

Thanks Rshevin, wash her bedding in canesten anitfungal bacteria wash supposedly eliminates 98% of the nasties, also clean her area constantly with vinegar and a drop or two of lemon grass essential oil.

Always wash my hands and use a fresh towel to pick her up, I am a pianist and my nails are kept very short but the finger nails is a good point!

Threw out her cage as it contained wood and was 2nd hand from a friend who has had a few pigs (some of them have died before their time) hmmmm interesting??

Now she's has a large corner of the room now where I lay down toweling and fleece and improvise with little plastic tables as her hidey holes. I kept her confined to one room when she was at her worst. Now she wanders around 2-3 rooms, I am very busy keeping these clean, but my house is looking better for it anyway

Cheers x

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed May 21, 2008 2:07 am

Wanita looks so beautiful! She is so lucky to have you, 1921kathryn. You have done such a wonderful job for her. :)

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Wed May 21, 2008 5:28 pm

Your thanks are much appreciated, Kathryn. :·)

Keep up the good work and keep a close eye on Wanita's weight.

As for the butt-dragging, my sows have all done it on occasion. Especially when I've put down the clean towels/fleece. I think they are 'stating their claim'. :·)

1921kathryn

Post   » Thu May 22, 2008 8:44 am

Sorry to post the same pic again but the original one was way too small

I just can't help myself the below pic is one of my favorites taken approximately 2 weeks ago

Ok that's all from me for a while :)

rshevin

Post   » Thu May 22, 2008 10:07 am

Oh look at all that grass! YUMMY! Her fur still has a "not so healthy" quality to it that will hopefully improve as she continues to get well. She's looking wonderful. You're doing a great job.