Are Alfalfa cubes ok?

Purplepeep

Post   » Tue May 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Hi,

I have two young boys who get a quality alfalfa pellet daily. I was at our local feed store to buy Timothy hay and I ended up getting a few of those pressed alfalfa cubes. They're about 2X2 in size.

Before I give them out are they ok? Is it like a little treat for them?
Should they be broken up into smaller sections? No instructions came with them as they were in a bulk bin.

Thank you in advance!
Anne

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Tue May 20, 2008 9:59 pm

I use alfalfa cubes as treats for my pigs. They like to chew on them for about 10 minutes, then they get ignored and pee'd on :)

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Tue May 20, 2008 10:00 pm

Those are just pressed hay, they won't hurt them, but regular loose hay is better for the teeth.

rshevin

Post   » Tue May 20, 2008 10:04 pm

They're fine for treats since they have nice, long strand hay. Make sure they don't preferentially eat the cubes. You may want to save a few. They are great for a cleaner floor time and if you need to travel any.

Feylin

Post   » Tue May 20, 2008 10:09 pm

They don't have any fillers or any such thing? If they don't they would be very useful!

Purplepeep

Post   » Tue May 20, 2008 10:12 pm

Thank you very much for your help. There are so many products out there and I'm afraid to buy the wrong thing.

Erin LOL! I can see my boys doing something like that. They're into marking everything in the cage:)

That's a great idea for floor time and travel too rehevin.

Thanks again and have a super night!