Broken back leg advices and experiences request

Guineapig7777

Post   » Thu May 22, 2008 4:08 am

I heard that when there is something broken, if we want to heal with surgery, we must do right away. Because the bones will soften or something like this. Is that true?

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Thu May 22, 2008 12:22 pm

Link to x-rays

This does look like a serious break. How is your girl feeling today?

Guineapig7777

Post   » Fri May 23, 2008 10:44 pm

I went to see the exotic vet -the first doc advised me- and as he seems very good and competent (we did again X-ray but this time, it was 10 times clearer than before) and my girl was in good condition, good health, no stress during the previous days (just except during vet visits) I finally decided to go under surgery (i mean her, not me) for add pin and try to save her leg.
Vet seems pretty confident about anesthesia, he was more worried about problem which might happen after surgery.
She is small so it will be a hard work.
But seeing her at the beginning of her life with one leg-foot useless, it kills me. And if she can endure anesthesia, she can only ""get better"". I mean, in the worst case, she might get amputation or something like this but anyway her leg is already lost. It's not like a heart surgery, it's just the leg. So if anesthesia is ok, she ""might"" be ok.
Now, i'm waiting for vet's call after surgery (it's today or tomorrow, i don't know exactly the day/hour)

By the way, thanks for your answers.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Fri May 23, 2008 10:51 pm

Good luck with the surgery. Please keep us updated.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri May 23, 2008 11:09 pm

Sending good thoughts!

What is your girl's name?

Fourboys4now

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 12:23 am

Hope your girl recovers and heals fast. I'm so glad you found a good vet for the surgery.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 1:45 am

Good luck with the surgery! We'll be thinking of you and your pig.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 9:28 am

Good luck!

Is she getting any pain medicine? I don't know if they have it over in France, but here in the US we have two pain medications, carprofen and meloxicam, that are often prescribed to guinea pigs. It would be worth asking the vet about them to make your little pig's life a little easier while she heals.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 11:58 am

Care after the surgery:

https://www.guinealynx.info/postop.html

and pain medication is important, as salana mentioned:

https://www.guinealynx.info/pain.html

Guineapig7777

Post   » Tue May 27, 2008 12:23 am

Vet called me and everything went fine. He could installed pin even though it seemed hard at first.
Now, she must stay few days at hospital for check if leg is ok.
I'm very relieved. Now, let's hope leg can heal without problem. I would be so glad if she could get back her "normal life".
What is your girl's name?
Leila
Is she getting any pain medicine?
I don't know again. But when I'll see vet, of course, I'm gonna ask. Thanks for the notice.

Thank you again for your kindness.