Snak Shak Question

Scout

Post   » Fri May 23, 2008 3:33 pm

My friend bought me a snak shak for my Taffy and Snickers. I haven't given it to them yet (I always do research with those things from the pet store). And the reviews look good, but the shak itself looks not edible even though the description of the product said it was "made of golden honey and alfalfa".

Here is the link to the product that I found. Let me know if it is safe, if it's not, I'll throw it out.

http://www.petco.com/product/101910/8-i ... Small.aspx

rshevin

Post   » Fri May 23, 2008 3:39 pm

Generally, they're garbage. If your pigs enjoy playing with and running through the shack, it's ok. The moment they show hints of eating it, it need to be tossed. The box says "honey and alfalfa" but when you check the ingredients, sawdust is higher than anything else if I recall! GROSS.

"Pine wood shaving, cassava starch, alfalfam straw liqui mix (water, sodium alginate, potassium sorbate, propionic acid, honey, glycerin, propylene glycol)."

How that qualifies as food is beyond me.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Fri May 23, 2008 3:44 pm

You can do a search on them in the forums. There are several posts about it. The alfalfa, honey and sawdust in it isn't good.

lisam

Post   » Fri May 23, 2008 3:56 pm

And once the pigs start eating them they get gummy and gross--I imagine they would start to mold at some point?

gotcavies
Supporter in '15

Post   » Fri May 23, 2008 4:43 pm

Sawdust? Since when is sawdust considered to be edible? Ewww.

Seriously, why would a company make a product out of sawdust and honey for household pets? These are guinea pigs, not barn rats. (Who probably do consume sawdust while gnawing through the walls.)

Scout

Post   » Fri May 23, 2008 5:15 pm

I was reading a book about guineas and it said that you aren't supposed to kiss them....is this true?

Fourboys4now

Post   » Fri May 23, 2008 5:19 pm

My boy Frisky gives me kisses all the time. I love it. He's done this for a long time and I have not had any ill effects.

PigPig3

Post   » Fri May 23, 2008 5:37 pm

Probably shouldn't kiss dogs, cats, or any other animals either, but how can you not?? I kiss all my animals, even the outside ones - just can't resist. I also haven't had any ill effects, unless I just didn't make the connection! They say the human mouth is worst of all, so I figure what the heck!

rshevin

Post   » Fri May 23, 2008 6:08 pm

I'd worry more about the SnackShak than the kissing! The idea is that maybe we have germies in our mouths that might, somehow, make them ill but I figure if we're living in close contact with them in our homes, handling them with our grimy fingers and such, we're already sharing plenty of germies.

PigPig3

Post   » Fri May 23, 2008 7:53 pm

How funny, I was thinking along the lines of US getting sick from kissing the pigs :) In that case, the only time I DON'T kiss them is when I am sick! I did make myself stay away for about 2 weeks when I had a cold, that was hard!

lincolnsmommy

Post   » Sun May 25, 2008 7:35 am

Hi i brought one of these for my guniea pig. I was in the room with him when he had it. He got a peice lodged in his throat and chocked. I wouldn't recommened it at all, it scared the life out of me when it happened. Might just be a bad experience but i would never have one again. Hope that helps

ellenvega
Skol Pigs!

Post   » Sun May 25, 2008 3:01 pm

Germs are not always a bad thing, you know.