Corn husks...

GuineaPiggin

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 3:50 am

I just picked some up at the grocery store on my way home (have to love free produce), and gave a leaf to each of my pigs. They love them! =)

My question: how much can they have in a sitting and how often can they have them (ie: Daily, weekly, bi-weekly, rarely)?

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 5:02 am

I'm not sure about the frequency, I think they are safe to use often. I freeze them and use occasionally. Be sure to check them carefully for mold though.

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 8:36 am

I give each pig one "leaf" in a sitting. Mine get them on special occasions, maybe once a month.

glade
Even Republicans Give!

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 9:04 am

For the past six years at least, my pigs gorge on them every summer, a couple times a week, a large pile is put in the cage. They would laugh at one 'leaf' :-)

EllieMom

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 9:09 am

Corn husks are a huge favorite around here. The girls love them and try to squirrel them away from the others by hiding them in their pigloos. I love them because they're free! The people at the local fresh market are used to us picking through the discard bins and ask, "so how are the guinea pigs?" when they see us doing it.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 9:15 am

I've started picking through the big garbage can next to the corn. Mine think they are candy. They, too, get more than one leaf at a time! The silk is nummy too.

Aertyn

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 9:16 am

I think mine would slip out of the cage and slit my throat if I gave them only one lol! Or at least eat my kidney...

Whenever I have corn in the house they get 2-3 leaves each per day.

If you want to make it more entertaining I make little corn husk parcels. You finely dice veggies, herbs etc then put a little pile in the end of the husk.

Fold each end over and tie with another piece of husk that is about 1cm wide. My pigs absolutely love these and have so much fun opening them up to get to their treats.

(course their's nothing better than a parcel where you can eat both the present AND the wrapping) :P

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 9:17 am

Ooh. I like that idea Aertyn! How fun.

Aertyn

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 9:21 am

Of course if your pigs do 'the flinging thing' (ie pick up food and throw it from side to side) it's all the more fun...for us...Caramel just about concussed Josephine last time. Course sometimes I'm not to sure if there is anything TO concuss *sighs*

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 9:39 am

Last night, Jackie was lounging on his side, eating the last few husks. He looked so lazy and fat that all he really needed to complete the look was a can of beer and a little TV to watch.

Deceptipiggies

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 9:50 am

Aertyn that’s a great idea. We’re having corn on the cob tonight
so the piggies are getting the husks and I’ll have to try that.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 10:51 am

At this point, I buy the corn so that the pigs can have their husks. We seldom eat enough corn to keep up. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I can do with it all?