Corn husks...

EllieMom

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 10:55 am

Amy, do your stores have bins next to the corn on the cob where people peel off the top husks and throw them out? That's where we get almost all of our husks for free. We'd be awash in corn if we had to eat enough corn to keep up with the girls' husk habit.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 10:59 am

No...I've asked many times since it seems such a waste. I was told I could contact the produce manager about stuff that they throw out early in the morning when they're putting out fresh veggies. But I've seen those bins and people use them for trash as well as for the veggies. There might be other stores that do it differently, so one of these days, I'll check.

Fourboys4now

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 11:08 am

Corn husks are a favorite around here too. I feed it to my boys probably 2-3 times a week. They get so excited about them. I'll have to try wrapping their veggies in them, I bet they'd love it.

babytulip07

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 11:12 am

My girls love corn husks, I was hoping Maddie would eat them to help wear down her teeth. I think they are too fibrous for her to eat though, she tries but it seems like she can't chew them. Maybe it has something to do with her undersized molars.

Animalz_Rule14

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 11:56 am

My pigs get the entire corn, husks, silks and all about twice a month. I don't bother doing anything with it just throw one in for each pair of pigs, it's COMPLETELY gone within hours!

DaCourt

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 12:31 pm

So the next question is...Is there any nutritional value in corn husks and corn silks? Funny thing this thread came up tonight becuase I was just havng this conversation tonight.

EllieMom

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 1:34 pm

Usually our local Fresh Market has a husk bin but Whole Foods doesn't. As I walking out today, though, I noticed one woman tearing the husks off a bunch of corn and getting ready to throw it out. You should have seen her face when I asked if I could have her husks for my guinea pigs. She was happy to share her garbage with them.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 1:48 pm

Amy, won't the produce guy save some for you? Our produce guy would think it was fun to save stuff like that for me. Unfortunately, our corn is sold in the husk.

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 1:48 pm

So far from all I've read corn husks are the same nutritional value as grass since it's in the same family. As Lisam stated once, "grass on steroids". I don't believe anyone yet has stated a breakdown of fiber or ratios though of the corn husks, not that I've seen anyway.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 3:08 pm

Our stores have a bin next to the corn, so I dig thur it (ohh the looks I get) and pick up a lot of silks and husks. Then I bring home and soak in cold water to make sure they are well rinsed.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 3:11 pm

Lady Bug got a clean house this morning and is now happily munching away on the fresh corn husks I got from the waste bin today.

If I just gave her one leaf she'd riot! She adores corn husks.

xPiggiesx

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 3:26 pm

My piggies get corn husks whenever we have corn on the cob, my mom buys them in the husk specifically for the pigs. =) They love 'em.