Soft droppings

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri May 09, 2008 12:28 pm

Yes, this does happen to my pigs on and off. Generally, if I withhold veggies for a day or two it mends. Some veggies are worse than others - red leaf, for one.

With a larger problem, I wait 48 hours after the poop returns to normal. Then I start, say, with one leaf of green leaf.

Yuugi

Post   » Fri May 09, 2008 12:33 pm

So if her poops remain normal i should re-introduce veggies bit by bit in, let's say...3 days?

The vet adviced a week but that seems like an awful ammount of time to be without veggies.

But i think all the good vibes are working, thank you :3!

EllieMom

Post   » Fri May 09, 2008 12:36 pm

This is why I read these forums! Red leave is BAD for diarrhea? That's one of the ones my vet told me to give them. ARGGGH. That could explain a lot.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri May 09, 2008 12:38 pm

I find red leaf tends to turn very, very quickly. I think if it was just picked it would be fine, but it can be deceiving and look ok but be just slightly soggy - which seems to play havoc with compromised GI systems.

I don't like my pigs to be without veggies for more than 48 hours unless absolutely necessary.

If I do withhold veggies I put in a dish of critical care to give them something else to eat and stop the wheeking :-)

Yuugi

Post   » Tue May 27, 2008 5:46 am

Just an update and a question:

Momo's droppings never became soft again, she's still 40 grams away from the weight she used to be at ,when the soft droppings started, but she has been mantaining this weight for 3 weeks now.

Sometimes some of her poops have a stranger shape though, they are smaller, like half a poop. You can also see it becomes a bit thinner at the end, i guess like they were tear shapped.
However this is just a random poop i see here and then. I thought it would be because she was eating less but she hasn't lost weight.

Should i still be concerned?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 27, 2008 9:16 am

I would not worry about a random smaller poop if she is eating well and showing no signs of illness. Just continue to provide a good diet.

www.guinealynx.info/.html

Yuugi

Post   » Wed May 28, 2008 12:00 pm

Well today they are even more out of shape, half a poop looks normal while the other half is just a string.

I think she's having soft poops again(i'm currently waiting for her to poop to check it).
There's a thing about her poops though, even when they became normal they always had a spot on them, like a little hole or something.

I guess it's time to schedule an appointment with a new vet and see how it goes, since she never returned to normal.

Withholding veggies wouldn't really help would it?

Yuugi

Post   » Wed May 28, 2008 12:53 pm

Just to give you an idea of how the poops look like:

Sorry my camera is old!

She is drinking water, eating hay and pellets.She's the one with the greatest apetite of the herd and has been popcorning alot lately(i built them a new bigger cage).
She hasn't lost any weight either(except for 40 grams when this episode started 3 weeks ago).

I'm making a vet appointment for tommorow hopefully, if they have a spot.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 28, 2008 9:34 pm

This can be caused by eating less and dehydration (perhaps a change in diet might cause it too). Unless there are any other signs of illness, I'm unsure that your vet will find anything wrong with your guinea pig.

LANDREWS

Post   » Wed May 28, 2008 10:12 pm

Yuugi - I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!

I just adopted Dr. Pepper (Male) and he is having a problem with soft droppings. First, they are soft..then they are normal..and then back to soft! They smear EVERYWHERE and it gets all over him, but I can't bathe him until the Ivermectin treatment is over (He just got his 2nd dose tonight). Hmmm.. let me know what your vet says.

gpgrandma
Supporter in '07

Post   » Wed May 28, 2008 11:33 pm

I'm with y'all. Nutmeg, our "new" piggy's poops, sounds just like Momo's (the gp) and DP's. some days soft and looking like watermelon seeds, some days normal, some days a little of both. We took out the kale and parsley from her diet and poops got a better. Then we thought to give her a slice of orange as a treat--back to smooshy poops. She tracks them everywhere and increases my wash loads since her sacks and cozies get gross fast. She also has this annoying habit of getting poop all around the rim of her pellet dish--how's that possible?! I'd love to hear what you learn!

ShireenL

Post   » Thu May 29, 2008 1:21 am

Sometimes Tofu's poop looks like that too! I used to have this probiotic (will try to get the exact name) that is akin to the good bacteria we find in yoghurt (but please don't feed pigs yoghurt or any form of dairy) which the vet gave me. A sprinkle over her pellets a day, and Tofu's poop will improve. Think this is mentioned here: https://www.guinealynx.info/probiotics.html

Apparently sometimes their digestive system just needs a little boost of good bacteria to balance things out, especially when fresh veggies are part of their diet, or if they had antibiotic-related softer droppings/diarrhea.

I noticed that the softness of Tofu's poop is directly related to how much fresh veggies she consumes in relation to dry food. Unless it's a very severe case of diarrhea, or there's appetite loss, or a drop in weight, I'd say just monitor her closely and make sure that the poop is not overly soft/slimy/smelly/change in color, etc.

I usually handfeed Tofu some fresh timothy hay when I want to increase her hay intake. She loves just sitting on my lap and munch away (and then poops on me too). Haha!

By the way, sometimes a pig's poop gets softer after eating a fresh fruit/veg for the very first time. Not sure why, so I'd say feed fresh veg sparingly and do not introduce new items too quickly/too much.