Soft droppings

Yuugi

Post   » Thu May 29, 2008 6:31 am

Just came back from the vet. She examined Momo's mouth and belly and said she was very healthy(no gas and no overgrown teeth).

She then said she could give her a week of antibiotics but she thinks it'll do more bad then good.

She told me that most likely a vegetable i'm giving her must be upseting her tummy. So she recommended that i give her the same vegetable for a week and then see if her poops change, if not, introduce another one for a week and so on until we find the culprit.

She and Mimi have been on the same diet for quite awhile without troubles so i think i'll give her their usual diet for a week and then try the new vegetables slowly.

Another thing though, could critter berries upset her stomach?

LANDREWS

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 10:04 am

Well, as far as critter berries, I'm not sure. Sorry :( I know that rshevin recommended them to me to feed mine so you may want to check with their experience..

Also, Dr. Peppers poops are perfectly normal now for 2 days in a row!!! I took him off of his old pellets the rescue fed him (I was transitioning him 50/50 on old pellets and Oxbow pellets) Before, when it was 50/50 he really would not eat pellets. Then, yesterday I filled it up with Oxbow only and he ate the whole bowl. Maybe the rescue packed the wrong bag of food for him? I'm not sure?

He's eating those pellets, lots of timothy hay and orchard grass and then at night I feed him 1 leaf of green leaf, 1 leaf of romaine and 2 sprigs of cilantro. His belly seems to be great now! Tonight I am going to let baby guinea try watermelon and I am going to hold off on fruits until I've seen his poops normal for several days.

Yuugi

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 10:45 am

Momo's poops are still slightly weird, even though i only fed her leafy veggies yesterday. I won't feed her veggies tonight and see if they are normal again by tommorow.

There's a thing she's been doing today when she's in my lap, she starts making this weird noise with her teeth, almost as if she's cracking nuts with them or something. I don't know what this is :/

LANDREWS

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 12:07 pm

Mine do that! They grind their teeth LOUD. Sometimes they do it when they are scared and others they do it when they are "showing off" who the man pig is to me ;-)

Yuugi

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:44 am

Here's an update and another question(sorry):

Momo's poops have been normal for a week now, i changed her diet a bit, took out the fruit and gave her veggies more rich in fiber.

She went in heat around 3-4 days ago and her vagina is still open, it hasn't closed again. She also still tries to ocasionally chase her cagemates and rumblestruts, but now it's probably only 1-2 times a day.

From what i read the estrus should last for 24-48 hours and she's been like this for almost 4 days. I'm thinking about watching her over the weekend and if she's still with this symptoms by then, take her to the vet.
It shouldn't last this long, right?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:21 am

Yuugi

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:59 am

I read that page often. I tried checking for all the other symptoms such as: swollen crusty nipples,loss of hair,etc. but she doesn't show any of those signs aside rumblestrutting and her vagina still being open.

Either way if it's still like that by the end of this weekend Momo is going to the vet again. Poor piggie, must think i'm out to get her :).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:35 am

Then it will depend on how long she is in heat - if she does not seem to return to normal. Sometimes guinea pigs' hormonal systems are out of wack. A spay is a consideration but always risky, even if you have an experienced vet.

sick piggy mom

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:38 am

I have just read this whole forum and what Momo is going through is so similar to what Tina has been dealing with. The pictures of her weird poops could have been taken out of my cage!

She has also been more sexually aggressive but I thought that was just because she was fully developed now. I wonder if I should tell my vet about that?

Tina is at the vet now to get an ultrasound to check her uterus and ovaries and her bladder. Along with the soft poops there were traces of blood on her poop and bedding. At first we thought it was a bacteria and that she was bleeding from her gut but a fecal culture ruled that out. (See my post diarrhea, pain and blood on the bedding)

Tina also started having soft poop after a treatment for lice. They were treated and then came back so she had two rounds of advantix and then two of revolution about two months later. Her cage mate had no reaction to either med though...my vet did not think there was a connection.

I sympathize with you! I feel like I am torturing my poor Tina!

I will let you know what my vet finds in case it might help you out!

Tina did have a lot of yeast in her poops and we are waiting for a result on the fungal culture (take 3-4 weeks) to figure out the right meds to give her for that.

She was on ketecozonal (sp?) an anti- fungal for 8 weeks which worked while she was on it but as soon as she stopped her poop was soft again.

Because of the blood we are working to rule out a separate issue perhaps with her reproductive system... I'll keep you posted.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:48 am

Tina did have a lot of yeast in her poops and we are waiting for a result on the fungal culture (take 3-4 weeks) to figure out the right meds to give her for that.
I'm not sure what 'fungal culture' is being done that takes so long. Yeast can be seen under a microscope and is treated with oral nystatin. I have a pig that's prone to yeast, and the nystatin works well for this. Yeast overgrowth can cause diarreah, so you need to see if he still has this (as I said, the test can be done instantly at the vet's office).

sick piggy mom

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:59 am

They did the test to see if it was present or not. The culture is to let the yeast grow and then test which medication will kill it. (At least that is what I was told). The reason for this is that two rounds on the meds didn't work.

Her poops have been getting better since we first stopped the medication. She is taking metacam (anti-inflammatory) twice a day because she vocalizes when she poops and have been giving her bene-bac to try and regulate her gut flora after all of the meds she has been on.

She is not supposed to have fresh food but the only way she will take the bene-bac is if I smear it on a small piece of lettuce the vet said that was ok.

I'll let you know the results of her tests as soon as I hear from the vet.

sick piggy mom

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:04 am

I was reading Yuugi's story about Momo and it sounds very similar. Momo has had the poop issue too. She mentioned that her girl was in heat longer than normal. I didn't think much about the sexual aggressiveness but maybe that is the key. That can be a sign of ovarian cysts? Is the only treatment surgery?

I guess the ultrasound will let us know. Can those kind of problems affect their digestion or am I dealing with two separate issues? I want to call and bug the vet but I will try to be patient....