When to Change Fleece and Towels

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Thu May 29, 2008 9:19 am

Pigs are afriad of the vacuum at first, but they quickly become used to the idea and the routine. Mine go to the opposite side of the cage from what I am cleaning, and than when I go to their side, they move to other. If I lay the vacuum down in the cage and start to do something else, they are all over it checking it out.

I like the vaccum because I feel it cleans up better and faster. I also like how it removes a lot of the hair from the fleece making life for my washing machine and dryer a bit easier. If I were to dust broom my cage I would be there forever!

babytulip07

Post   » Thu May 29, 2008 10:48 am

I vacuum about once a day, my pigs usually aren't afraid. It only takes one pig to not be afraid and then the rest of them are fine as well. In my case Maddie doesn't even know its there (she's blind and deaf) so the rest of the girls think hey maybe its not so bad. Evie follows it around and thinks its fun to stand in the way.

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Thu May 29, 2008 10:52 am

"standing in the way"

My pigs like to call that supervising :P

rshevin

Post   » Thu May 29, 2008 11:10 am

I now have to put down a pile of hay before I sweep because Piggy is so efficient at "supervising."

My2Pigs

Post   » Thu May 29, 2008 11:18 am

I want to know more about the pads underneath the fleece! What do you all use for layers under the fleece? Are there certain options you can use underneath the fleece that make the pee-pee smell less of an issue than others?

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Thu May 29, 2008 11:40 am

Mine are changed every other day and poo is swept up three times a day.

Steppenwolf22

Post   » Thu May 29, 2008 12:12 pm

Underneath the fleece I use a few towels, and underneath those, I use this:

http://www.theneatsheet.com/

Seems to work well--no urine on the floor. I found it in a local drug store. Try any aisle where they sell summer stuff. About $10. You can put it in the washing machine, but don't put it in the dryer.

Jasmaya

Post   » Thu May 29, 2008 12:41 pm

Well, I'm glad this topic came up as I am considering switching my piggies to the fleece type bedding and away from Aspen due to their long hair. I am thinking it will help to avoid any future tangles and matts. It's hard to track down a lot of helpful information online and is much easier when its all in one place!

Btw, are there any differences between the "no pilling" type polyester fleece and the normal polyester fleece? Do they seem to have similar absorbency or wetness wicking properties?

rshevin

Post   » Thu May 29, 2008 12:59 pm

For some reason, the "no pill" does seem to work better. Ironically, it pills up faster and thus wicks better. I've used plenty of cheap fleece blankets though, with good results. Some are better than others though.

My2Pigs

Post   » Thu May 29, 2008 2:07 pm

rshevin,
Do you find that the thicker fleeces don't get so stinky so fast? Like, say, it's better at wicking away the wetness and the pee smell?

Feylin

Post   » Thu May 29, 2008 2:40 pm

The thing that changed the stink factor for me is the size of the cage. Bigger = less smell.

Also, laying down a square of fleece in the worst spots and peeling it up daily seems to help a lot.

Jasmaya

Post   » Thu May 29, 2008 2:56 pm

Ooo... thats a great idea because mine love to go in their sleeping spots, even though they have a potty box.