Alice's Medical Thread

Feylin

Post   » Sun May 25, 2008 11:16 am

Alice is a 4 (aprox) month old abby sow. She came in as a rescue about 1.5 months ago. She was treated for mites, lice, URI and put on pregnancy watch. She lives alone in my bedroom away from the boys because of space issues (and boarly hormone issues if they smell her in heat). She eats drinks and poops fine. Her weight has been steadily increasing- almost similar to the charts I found here, maybe slightly faster. She currently weighs 526g. When she came to me she weighed 412g.

Question 1: On Alice's left ear, there are tiny black scabs or crusts. They are only on the outside part of that ear. Other skin in the area and the other ear is pink and healthy. I have 2 pictures, but they are kind of blurry. Is this fungal?

Question 2: I was mostly certain that Alice was not pregnant since her weight gain was similar to the charts. The vet palpitated her at her first visit and said she did not think she was pregnant the only way to know for sure was an xray. Now, I think I can feel the sacs some people describe. She looks definately pear shaped. I have a potential adopter lined up for her and I don't want to send Alice out pregnant. Please help and tell me if I'm paranoid or not.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun May 25, 2008 11:24 am

If she's only 4 months old, you'll need to wait till the last day of the pregnancy watch before adopting her out.

I had a very young sow who showed no signs of being pregnant, and I nearly adopted her out. On - I think - Day 69 of her pregnancy watch one very large baby appeared in her cage!

I can't see the ear properly, but with any questionnables in that area I put on a dab of Monistat.

Suisan

Post   » Sun May 25, 2008 11:26 am

I remember when one of my youngsters went through a growth spurt, she went very oval/eggplant shaped there for a bit and caused me to think she was pregnant. But no, she was just redistributing the weight. At 1.5 months, you're at about 45 to 50 days, right? I would think that with a young sow she'd be exploding width-wise if she were pregnant. Or at least at this point you'd be seeing a prodigious shift on her weight charts. Backing off of about 70 days, it would seem to me that the weight gain of the pups is kicking into overdrive just now.

On the other hand, I have heard stories on the boards about young pups that showed no signs whatsoever and then popped out one very small pup. I think you just won't know for sure, 100 percent, unless you keep her for closer to 60 days.

In terms of the ears, it almost looks like small blood blisters to me. Do they sit on the surface of the skin like a scab? Or do they seem embedded in the ear surface like a blister? Do you think she could have damaged her ear tissue when scratching?

If it looks like scabs, I'd try a teeny amount of OTC fungal cream. One of my sows just seems to be prone to having very small outbreaks of fungus on the ear flap. A few swipes of fungal cream clears it up quickly.

Good luck!

Edited to add: What Mum said. She's much better at getting to the point than I am!
Last edited by Suisan on Sun May 25, 2008 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Feylin

Post   » Sun May 25, 2008 11:27 am

Thanks Mum. We will wait then. Pregnancy watch is 2.5 months, yes? She's getting alfalfa hay since she's young herself.

I will try the Monistat and see what happens.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun May 25, 2008 11:28 am

won't know for sure, 100 percent, unless you keep her for closer to 60 days.
No, you have to keep her for the whole 73 days! (See my above post).

Suisan

Post   » Sun May 25, 2008 11:31 am

Gah. Sorry. Yes, seventy days. Sorry, sorry, sorry.

Feylin

Post   » Sun May 25, 2008 11:34 am

Ha. Ok - 70 days it is! I hope this adopter sticks around, she seems very nice with a single female in a huge C&C.

Now I have to go out and buy some Monistat as what I have is out of date.

Suisan

Post   » Sun May 25, 2008 11:38 am

Feylin, try telling your adopter that you are keeping the pup as a favor to the adopter. That you don't want to burden her with a pregnancy watch. I bet she'll stick around for a few more weeks if you put it to her that way.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun May 25, 2008 7:06 pm

We had one with nubbly ears like that. Panolog cream or Quadri-Top ointment (a generic for Panolog IIRC) works nicely too. Try Monistat first, though; cheaper and OTC.

Feylin

Post   » Thu May 29, 2008 6:15 pm

Ugh.

Well, the monistat worked well. The spots are going away. I assume I continue until they are all gone?

However, I came home today to find Alice laying out in the middle of her cage (she always hides). It's unexpectedly 85F today and my apartment AC wasn't on so the temp in here was about 78. I thought she was just hot like the others since she came up to me and wheeked for veggies, but I could see that it was hard for her to breathe. It's as if breathing is a motion that requires her whole body. She kind of jerks back and forth. She does not looked fluffed up or lethargic though. When I listen to her breathing it "clicks".
She has been pooping and peeing, but eating only a little. Alice really does not drink from her water bottle- she never has, but I give her wet veggies so I didn't worry about it. Alice weighs 512g today (she weighed 526g 5 days ago).

Unfortunately, both my vet and the substitute vet CJ saw are not available until next Wed at the earliest. The other vet is the one who made statements like "antibiotics don't get rid of URIs". There's no emergency vet.

SO. I calculated her Bactrim dose (.25ml) and gave her that immediately. I also syringed her 3ml of water. I can watch Alice very closely since school is now out. She's on the couch with me nibbling some baby lettuces.

Is this all OK? I think I'm doing the right things, but I wanted to be checked by others because I'm still new at pigs. Thanks in advance.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu May 29, 2008 10:15 pm

Sounds like you're doing all that can be done for now.
It's as if breathing is a motion that requires her whole body. She kind of jerks back and forth. She does not looked fluffed up or lethargic though. When I listen to her breathing it "clicks".

The bactrim is a good idea. If that doesn't do the job, consider heart issues - even though she's young.

Feylin

Post   » Thu May 29, 2008 10:24 pm

Reeeeealy. CJ and I have exhausted all options (polite and otherwise) to get the current vet to consider heart issues. Next week we're going to drive an hour to Lois' vet at Ohio State. Perhaps Alice will go too.

She's stopped eating (since right after I posted) and is acting lethargic and generally pathetic. Her eyes keep closing like she's too tired to keep them oppen. She's not caring if she's out in the open or if I'm picking her up. So, I made pellet slurry with some canned pumpkin and she's had 3mls of that plus 3mls of water. Is that enough for one session? I know she should get about 50mls per day, but she was really distressed by the syringe (flopping around, crying out). I can get up and feed her durring the night if I have to.

bandi09

Post   » Thu May 29, 2008 10:38 pm

I am sorry she is so ill. Poor little girl. I hope she starts to feel well.

Take care.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu May 29, 2008 10:42 pm

What is her temperature?

Feylin

Post   » Thu May 29, 2008 10:55 pm

Is there a way to take it? I dont know an actual number. When I first came home I thought she felt too warm, but the whole place was warm. Now her ears feel cold, but the rest of her feels normal.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu May 29, 2008 11:44 pm

Digital thermometer, lubricant, rectum.

If her ears are cold now it's probably URI/heart.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 2:18 am

I'm keeping Alice in my thoughts, and I hope she is feeling better and eating. She is a sweet girl.

Feylin

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 7:25 am

I compared her ears to the other pigs'. They all feel about the same...cool to me. Their feet are all warm! I don't have lubricant, but I can go find some and take it later today.

Overnight, Alice got about 30mls of pellet mash in her so that's good. She's eating some lettuce now.

The breathing-jerking-clicking is less but still there. She really flares her nostrils when she breathes, but there's no mucus in there.

I called Lois' vet at their emergency number- without seeing her they think URI, but of course they want to see her. So if she continues to improve on the Bactrim we'll go next week with CJ.

EllieMom

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 11:43 am

Keeping Alice in our thoughts.

Feylin

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 5:16 pm

Alice passed away at the vet's this afternoon.

I came home from school early and found her in the middle of her cage in labor. She was still having trouble breathing and her whole body felt cold. I rushed her to the vet and our normal vet was able to come in and see us.

They tried multiple times to save Alice but it did not work. The vet even tried to do mouth to mouth, but it was too late. The vet did a C section and the baby sow lived for a few minuites, but ultimately didn't make it either. The vet thinks that the baby was too large for Alice and that it spent too long trying to be born.

The vet did a necropsy for me and said that it was a combination of things. Alice did have a URI and she had been trying to give birth for probably most of the day. But the real problem was that her calcium levels had dropped so much that it shut her system down. It was probably related to giving birth, but there's no way to know if the stress of having such a huge baby or the URI or the calcium or all together was the real issue.

The baby looked exactly like Alice. I'm so upset. I wish I would have gotten more pushy with the office staff when they said there was no possible way to get Alice seen- obviously there IS a way since we were seen today. I shouldn't have thought I knew enough to care for her at home. I have no idea what or how to tell her adopter.

Thanks for your help and your thoughts, guys.

39 posts