Alice's Medical Thread

bandi09

Post   » Thu May 29, 2008 10:38 pm

I am sorry she is so ill. Poor little girl. I hope she starts to feel well.

Take care.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu May 29, 2008 10:42 pm

What is her temperature?

Feylin

Post   » Thu May 29, 2008 10:55 pm

Is there a way to take it? I dont know an actual number. When I first came home I thought she felt too warm, but the whole place was warm. Now her ears feel cold, but the rest of her feels normal.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu May 29, 2008 11:44 pm

Digital thermometer, lubricant, rectum.

If her ears are cold now it's probably URI/heart.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 2:18 am

I'm keeping Alice in my thoughts, and I hope she is feeling better and eating. She is a sweet girl.

Feylin

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 7:25 am

I compared her ears to the other pigs'. They all feel about the same...cool to me. Their feet are all warm! I don't have lubricant, but I can go find some and take it later today.

Overnight, Alice got about 30mls of pellet mash in her so that's good. She's eating some lettuce now.

The breathing-jerking-clicking is less but still there. She really flares her nostrils when she breathes, but there's no mucus in there.

I called Lois' vet at their emergency number- without seeing her they think URI, but of course they want to see her. So if she continues to improve on the Bactrim we'll go next week with CJ.

EllieMom

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 11:43 am

Keeping Alice in our thoughts.

Feylin

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 5:16 pm

Alice passed away at the vet's this afternoon.

I came home from school early and found her in the middle of her cage in labor. She was still having trouble breathing and her whole body felt cold. I rushed her to the vet and our normal vet was able to come in and see us.

They tried multiple times to save Alice but it did not work. The vet even tried to do mouth to mouth, but it was too late. The vet did a C section and the baby sow lived for a few minuites, but ultimately didn't make it either. The vet thinks that the baby was too large for Alice and that it spent too long trying to be born.

The vet did a necropsy for me and said that it was a combination of things. Alice did have a URI and she had been trying to give birth for probably most of the day. But the real problem was that her calcium levels had dropped so much that it shut her system down. It was probably related to giving birth, but there's no way to know if the stress of having such a huge baby or the URI or the calcium or all together was the real issue.

The baby looked exactly like Alice. I'm so upset. I wish I would have gotten more pushy with the office staff when they said there was no possible way to get Alice seen- obviously there IS a way since we were seen today. I shouldn't have thought I knew enough to care for her at home. I have no idea what or how to tell her adopter.

Thanks for your help and your thoughts, guys.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 5:25 pm

I am so sorry Feylin. You aren't to blame. Even if you got her to the vet earlier, emergency C-sections don't usually have a good outcome even with more time. Rest well, Alice and baby sow. :-(

EllieMom

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 5:44 pm

I'm so sorry. You did everything you could. It's another sad ending to a pregnancy that should have never happened in the first place.

Tammy

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 5:49 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 6:42 pm

I'm so sorry. Rest well sweet Alice and little baby.