New rescue - Clementine

Jennicat

Post   » Sat May 31, 2008 9:31 pm

Initially, I thought she'd gotten 4 doses during the 2 weeks she was at the vet, but the vet's letter was a little hard to read. It seems like she's had 4 doses of ivermectin over the past month (whoever surrendered her was having the shots done), but then dumped her there, and they continued ivermectin treatments.

As soon as she dries, I'm dosing her with Revolution. I think I'll hit up the vet tomorrow for Program. The metacam really seems to help a ton, she's still itching, but not seizuring, and is making serious inroads on a pile of hay.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat May 31, 2008 9:34 pm

If she begins to seize again, you could ask the vet for some veterinary Valium (whatever it's called), or possibly some butorphanol. If Metacam does the job, though, hopefully that will be all she'll need. Itching like crazy is awful to watch, but as long as she's not seizing and she is eating, I'd be inclined to continue Metacam but stop there unless she begins to seize again.

klynne

Post   » Sat May 31, 2008 9:45 pm

I've had mixed luck with Benedryl cream, and more so with hydrocortisone cream, at least 1%, Jennicat.

It's better to sort of "pat" it on, rather than rub. Rubbing can trigger seizures and/or hours of more itchiness, IME.

Also, when you do get ready to bathe again--and I'd hold off, too, ditto on that--I had a lot of luck with EpiSoothe Shampoo and Conditioner. I really, really, slathered on that conditioner and let it sit. Helped a lot with regrowth of nice soft hair, plus soothing the upset skin.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat May 31, 2008 9:50 pm

The 1% silver sulfadiazine cream on Sef's site might be really helpful in preventing infection. (It's used for humans on burns.)

Epi-Soothe:

http://www.entirelypets.com/epmedsham8oz.html
http://www.entirelypets.com/epcreamrinan.html

Jennicat

Post   » Sat May 31, 2008 10:09 pm

I just revolution'd her, and it set off another round of seizures. I ran out and bought bandaging to burrito her, and (of course) I get back and she's stopped. I'm hoping this is a sign that we're winning the mite war.

cavykatie

Post   » Sat May 31, 2008 10:26 pm

Oh my, poor thing! Thank goodness you rescued her!

She has unique markings, when her fur grows back she'll be even more darling.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Sat May 31, 2008 11:37 pm

Poor thing.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:50 am

Sending good thoughts for pretty Clementine. She is so lucky to be in your home, now. I hope she has a restful night and a speedy recovery.

ShireenL

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:21 am

She is such a darling. I'm so glad she found you. Sending all my wishes for the sweetie, that she'll recover well.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:59 pm

Poor baby! I'm glad she found her way to you!

Topaz

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:00 pm

Aw, the poor girl. I'm so glad you've got her now.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:02 pm

Thank you for helping her. She will be a beautiful pig when she's all fixed up.