Applewood Chews: Ok or NO?

Stomphoof

Post   » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:57 pm

I have some chews, they are simply apple wood sticks. Here is a direct link to them:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... source=cse

They are called Apple Orchard Sticks from the Kabob Family of Fun.

Are this ok to give to the guineas? I figure they are since they are made of nothing more then dried apple wood sticks but I want to double check with you big brains :D

Katrina
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:44 pm

I think they are fine. For the most part, my guys only liked nibbling the bark off of them. I have attached sticks like those to the divider in our cage to thwart some of the bar chewing.

BuddyMommy

Post   » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:49 pm

my pig likes them alot!

tiggyswift

Post   » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:04 pm

Mine love them, too.

Feylin

Post   » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:28 pm

I just like the name "Kabob Family Of Fun"

Who else is in this family??

Purplepeep

Post   » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:14 pm

My vet told us not to give our guys apple wood to chew on. Something about arsinic(sp) in the wood? Anyone hear of this?

rshevin

Post   » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:17 pm

Arsenic is present in apple seeds. I don't know about the wood.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:19 pm

They're probably fine. As rshevin says, arsenic is only present in the seeds, not the wood.

lisam

Post   » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:20 pm

I've found that my pigs only like the fresh apple branches and twigs.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:21 pm

If your vet is a very well educated avian vet, this may be where the idea came from. I seem to recall some of the bird ladies mentioning this with apple and wood from stone fruit trees. Birds are quite a bit more sensitive than piggies to some things.

outfoxed98

Post   » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:56 am

We have 2 apple trees and a pear tree in our garden. Whenever we trim the trees back the piggys get loads of branches which they adore! They strip them back to nothing and they love the leaves. But like lisam mine much prefer it straight from the tree.

Of course if you get fresh make sure you rinse them thoroughly.

Leb
Supporter in '08

Post   » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:29 am

Mine never liked these sticks. Bit them once to check out what they were and never tried again.