Eating String?

AnnetteH

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:40 pm

We came down after eating dinner and Toby's hammock wasn't hanging from one corner. His cage is too wide for the hammock so I had lengthened the strap with a piece of ribbon. The ribbon is missing and we can't find it anywhere. The only thing I can think of is that he ate it. He's never chewed anything before and he doens't even stand up that high usually. If he ate it it's a narrow pice of ribbon that's a foot and a half long. I'm not sure how he could eat something like that without choking. He's running around acting fine I don't know what to think.

AnnetteH

Post   » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:47 am

Update:

I called the vet and we got Toby and appointment for tomorrow at 2:30. The vet said that he'd probably pass it, but to bring him in anyway. We decided to try an experiment, so we put the other piece of ribbon in front of him to see what he'd do, and he chomped right down on it like it was a piece of candy. The good thing is he bit right through it, so I guess there's a chance that he actually chewed up the other piece rather than swallowing it whole.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:45 am

Sending good thoughts for Toby. How nerve-wracking!

AnnetteH

Post   » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:01 am

Update:
Toby is acting fine, eating grass and pooping this morning. We will be taking him to the vet in a few hours.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:29 pm

Mine have eaten ribbon on occasion. Honestly, if he's not showing symptoms, I wouldn't do the vet but that's just me.

somechick

Post   » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:27 pm

I used to use ribbon to tie Henry & Piggie's potty onto the grids. One day the ribbon was missing. I don't know who ate it or what happened to it. Everyone seemed fine. I found it hard to believe that one pig could eat something of that size, but the ribbon never turned up under the cage or anything. So who knows.

AnnetteH

Post   » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:54 pm

Well the vet couldn't do much. She couldn't feel anything in his tummy. The only thing she could suggest was an x-ray for $200 so see if his intestine was looking blocked. He is still eating and pooping so we decided not to get the x-ray because it wouldn't change anything. She said if he gets a block the only thing we can do is a $2000 surgery that he has a 50/50 chance of surviving or putting him to sleep. The only thing she could suggest is that he gets plenty of hydration and fiber and hope for the best, but both of the exotics vets agreed that if there really is that long of a ribbon inside there isn't much chance of it passing. It would be good if he chewed it really good or there is the possibility that it could sit in his stomach long enough to break down. At this point all we can do is pray and hope for the best. This crazy guy has been to the vet 7 times in the six months since we got him.

rshevin

Post   » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:17 pm

Did he eat yards of ribbon or a few inches? Most of our pigs have gotten into SOMETHING at some point. Mine ate about 6" of ribbon I didn't know he could get to and the nylon zipper pull off my backpack. While I definitely recommend keeping these things away from piggies, it's amazing the things they pass. Hay and hydration sound as good as anything.

AnnetteH

Post   » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:37 pm

It was about 18" of ordinary 1/8 inch satin ribbon.

AnnetteH

Post   » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:01 am

Update:
Toby continues to eat, drink, and poop normally.

When your piggies ate ribbon or zipper pulls did you see it come out in the poops or can they actually digest ribbon?

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:02 am

I never saw them again. They seem to have been either chewed beyond recognition or digested.

somechick

Post   » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:44 pm

I never saw mine again either, and I looked. I wasn't expecting to see a 6" piece of fully intact ribbon covered in poo, but I didn't even see parts of it in the poo.

I'd imagine that your pig chewed it up before swallowing it. I can't imagine he'd swallow 18 inches whole, y'know? But I suppose weirder things have happened.