20+ guinea pigs in shelter in San Gabriel need help!

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:18 pm

Also, it could endanger any reputation we might have with the shelter. For one thing, this is going to expose the fact that the shelter director allowed us to take all the guinea pigs one day before the stray hold expired (in effect, illegally) and free of charge.

They do not get guinea pigs often but they have many rabbits and I am working with a rabbit rescue to get volunteers down there to take better care of them. If I rat them out, they might not let our volunteers in.

melcvt00

Post   » Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:20 pm

Would the police have any say in it at all? If they do, report it to both places at the same time.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:25 pm

Its a tough one. If we rat them out, they likely will not be willing to work with us next time.

Not sure if this is good advice but... maybe try to arrange a meeting with that director at the SGHS? He didn't seem to be all too aware of what was going on, it may be just the workers there, selling the pigs for some pocket change.

I don't know.. its a tough situation.

lisam

Post   » Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:41 pm

The thing is, though, if you don't rat them out, is something like this likely to happen again? Can someone else rat them out for you?

(What an interesting term--rat them out. I wonder where it came from).

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:42 pm

You're right on the money, CP. That's what Caroline said--try to get the director to act on our behalf first. She confirmed that LA Animal Services is very, very hard to work with. She also agreed that one of the employees probably took them for reptile food.

So I will call him in the morning.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:45 pm

Oh cool, I thought it was a dumb suggestion. :D

My impression of the director is that he isn't part of the "scam" thats going on. Maybe he just needs to restaff his humane society.

gpservant

Post   » Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:49 pm

I second what CP said. Work with the director of the SGHS. Tell him your concerns about the missing pigs and that in the future you hope guinea pigs will be treated with the same respect as dogs and cats. You also might want to point him to Teresa's site and all the media coverage of the Hollister rescue to show him that a lot of people really do care about guinea pigs.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:52 pm

Its sad that a lot of people regard pigs as less than dogs or cats. I find that funny since these people are suppose to be "animal lovers". Such as that shrimpy little Deputy Doofy Dumbass, "theyre just rodents".

Off topic a little but have you named this little guy?

He reminds me of a peanut butter cookie. Maybe the name Reeses or PB? :D
And email me the names of the ones thats already determined so I can have their names on the album instead of "Pig #5"

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:59 pm

I think we will call him Deputy Doofy.

Here are my name choices:

Pig #1 Waldo
Pig #2
Pig #3
Pig #4 Little Piggy Foo Foo
Pig #5 Deputy Doofy
Pig #6

One is missing. A TSW American. He is in the front in pic number 27.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:10 pm

Let's call him Pig 7. His name is Pistachio.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:17 pm

I have 7 total pigs in the album, which one is missing?

I'll go fill in the names so we have a better idea.

Which ones are Kathys? Didnt she have names for them already?

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:20 pm

We have 8 boars. The one in the front in pic 27--the mostly white TSW baby--is the missing one.

Better wait on the names. I actually think Kathy has Deputy Doofy. I emailed her.

The reason I don't like normal names is because pigs with wierd names get more hits on petfinder.

Slim Shady received 2 emails his first week with us, and he really isn't that cute.