Pet stores improving?

GuineaPinny

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:07 pm

What focus groups, sales records, customer feedback, etc. do you have as proof that your small animals sales have totally detracted from PetSmart's, as opposed to independent sales, rather than it just being an optimistic thought?

GuineaPinny

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:13 pm

Also, another issue to consider: How many small, family owned petstores are there in the country?

I know there's one on my street. It's a pretty common industry. So these thousands of family owned petstores, all buying animals from backyard breeders--none of them are adding to the homeless animal populations?

Or just yours isn't?

Froggieflies

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:14 pm

Cheshire, I'm not very sure thats a safe topic to get into even on an off-topic thread, very dangerous issues.

I was just sort of thinking out loud, sorry about the off-topic post. *hangs head*

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:15 pm

You "may" be making a slight dent in Petsmart's sales but you're still taking away homes from already existing needy and homeless guinea pigs with your purpose bred pigs, "healthy" or not.

Cheshire Catfish

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:15 pm

"all objective logic points to it adding to the homeless animal population. I mean, basic fact-you purchase animals from a breeder. You're adding to the homeless animal population."

Do not make statements like "all objective logic points to my being right" and "my point is a basic fact" while ignoring my arguments to the contrary in my last post. If you're just going to sit there and state that I'm wrong without actually addressing my arguments, I'm going to start ignoring your posts too.

"Unless your staff is mind readers, you're sending "healthy" guinea pigs to some unhealthy homes for at least a portion of the sales."

You are making a valid point here, and I already conceded it earlier. We are not perfect. I can't guarantee that every person we sell a pig too is a perfect home. BUT, there are plenty of people we do filter out of the impulse-buying crowd, who would otherwise walk into petsmart and be sold a pig, no questions asked. If we stop ONE person who shouldn't have a pig from buying a pig, then we've improved something. And we stop plenty.

Cheshire Catfish

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:18 pm

"you're still taking away homes from already existing needy and homeless guinea pigs with your purpose bred pigs, "healthy" or not."

No, we're not. Re-read my last few posts please. The people we sell animals to WOULD NOT otherwise adopt. They would otherwise buy from someone much worse, and not know how to take care of it.

Like I keep saying over and over, we suggest adoption to people, and the ones that are responsive to the idea do NOT walk out with animals.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:20 pm

I didn't say all objective logic points to my being right, to be accurate. But it's just such a stumbling block. I mean for me it's just math.

To be a petstore, independent of any other petstore, is selling animals. Unaltered animals. That can breed. So many people on CL are posting having bred their petstore pigs.

"Do not make statements like "all objective logic points to my being right"" So, again, I didn't, and also, this is a little rude, ya know?

Edit: Also, I thought I had addressed your arguments, which were all in the nature of weeding out impulse buyers, by talking about how this was flawed logic. Sorry I didn't quote to make that clear.
Last edited by GuineaPinny on Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:20 pm

Wouldn't they be subpar homes then? How do you know they are taking care of your sold animals? You keeping track how?

Are your animals priced lower than Petsmart?

Cheshire Catfish

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:22 pm

"Also, another issue to consider: How many small, family owned petstores are there in the country?"

Lots! But most of them are just as bad as the big box stores, and many get their animals from the same mills.

"So these thousands of family owned petstores, all buying animals from backyard breeders--none of them are adding to the homeless animal populations?

Or just yours isn't?"

I'm making a distinction between the shops who treat animals well, educate people, and filter out bad homes, and the ones who don't. Please do not lump our store in with lots of other stores whose activities are very different, just because we're the same size. I can't say what the exact effects are of a thousand stores with a thousand different policies. I can only talk about what my store does and does not do.... I won't make sweeping generalizations like you are.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:24 pm

But many of them aren't. I mean that was your original point, right? To ask us to consider stores like your families'.

Cheshire Catfish

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:26 pm

"Wouldn't they be subpar homes then? How do you know they are taking care of your sold animals? You keeping track how?"

I already addressed this exact point. Please re-read my earlier posts.

"Are your animals priced lower than Petsmart?"

No, but lots of people end up at our shop first for a variety of reasons- our location, maybe they buy their dog food here, because they got good advice from us in the past, etc.

Cheshire Catfish

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:28 pm

"But many of them aren't. I mean that was your original point, right? To ask us to consider stores like your families'."

"Small family owned store" does not mean "store like ours."

Sure, if there's another store that operates exactly like ours, then their effect is the same. But what's the point of making that statement?

I never said stores like ours were any kind of majority. We're definitely in the minority here. My point was that sweeping generalizations like "all pet stores that sell animals are terrible" aren't fair and may not always be productive.