New rescue - Clementine

Feylin

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:52 pm

Oh, Clementine! She has that look in her eye of hurting. Poor baby. I'm glad you've sorted her out.

I had to wrap Jasper, actually. He came to me already with open sores and while he was being treated for mites he couldn't stop scratching. I really think using an old clean sock and then vetwrap kept him from doing more damage. He used to scream in pain when he moved from the itching and the open sores. The wrapping seemed to help him move around more.

I only wrapped him for about 3 days. I took it off frequently during lap time so the sores could get some air. It really helped with the pain of living with the sores while they healed.

Jennicat

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:11 pm

Alright, just administered the Benedryl, crossed my fingers, and said a prayer.

I talked to my friend who makes home-made soaps and lotions today about Clementine's skin. She recommended olive oil over coconut oil, because olive oil is a humectant. She also said that coconut oil is only moisturizing up to a certain point, but once you get past that, it can actually dry the skin. I'm going to try the olive oil tonight and see if there's a difference.

happiestgirl

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:35 pm

sending good vibes for sweet Clementine!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:27 pm

She looks greasy but she looks better from your first pictures.

I will post your bail if you will save enough leftover parts of the cretin that originally had her for me to take some target practice.

LAWomans
"Live Long and Prosper"

Post   » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:13 pm

Jennicat,

I am fostering a baby with the same problems. I have been giving him the Benedryl at .02cc two or three times a day and it does help. He is also on Meticam .15 twice a day. My vet didn't want to give steroids if we don't need to. We shaved him so I can treat the sores with Panalog twice a day. He is also on Bactrim for any infection, plus probiotics.

He stills scratches and screams when he does but is slowly getting better. I tried bandaging him and he totally freaked.

Also, the bathing made him seize so I don't do that any more.

It's heart rending to hear them screaming, but eventually they do get better.

Good luck!

Jennicat

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:26 am

Last night the Benedryl seems to have done wonders. We only had one small screaming fest, and that was right after I marinated her with the olive oil.

(Boyfriend says she's going to get a complex, always being marinated in cooking oil.)

This morning, first thing, she was already back to itching. I'm going to try an every 12 hour dose of Benedryl and see if that removes it.

bandi09

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:59 am

I am so glad you have her. I hope she feels better soon and finds a home that will treat her like a queen.

klynne

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:06 pm

I'm so glad to hear the Benedryl gave everybody a bit of sleep and peace.

You might have to do three times a day for a while, then back off to two, then one. That's what I've had success with, anyway.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:59 pm

Ditto Klynne. IIRC Benadryl has a fairly wide margin of safety in guinea pigs. That's not to say you couldn't overdose her, but since you know what you are doing you can probably go up a little for the (hopefully, relatively) short period of time it'll be necessary.

Jennicat

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:28 pm

Sweet Clementine got another bath today (as she was getting really really bad off from the oil) and we had no seizures or screaming afterwards!

Just for dosage reference, she's 2lbs 4oz and is getting .8 of the children's liquid benadryl (which is roughly 2 mg active ingredient).

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:50 am

That's such good news, Jennicat. In the last picture you posted, I thought her skin was already looking much better. I can't wait for the 'after' pictures; and to actually happen.

Jennicat

Post   » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:03 pm

Clemmy went in to the vet for a checkup yesterday, and the vet had no extra suggestions. He was hesitant to use steroids on her; he felt the pain meds were more important. Overall her skin is improving, but the one spot right behind her ears is specially itchy and she's still scratching it open.

I wrapped her this morning (which took a good half hour while trying to figure out how to wrap a potato with legs) and then 15 minutes later she'd gotten everything off.

I also noticed once I got home from the vet (ain't that always the way?) that she's got a black spot on the top of her left incisor, but she's eating fine.