Soft droppings

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:04 am

sick piggy mom, I thought I was replying to your own thread, not somebody else's.

It's much better to keep your questions on your own thread, otherwise it can be confusing.

sick piggy mom

Post   » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:10 am

I thought I was on my thread too. I'm not sure what Happened. Sorry!

Yuugi

Post   » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:10 pm

Momo is still showing herself to her cagemates and rumblestrutting.It seems to happen maybe 2-3 times a day,for just a bit and then she goes about her business.

She's also losing hair when i stroke her and today as i was taking these pictures there was a clump of hair with skin attatched, so i am getting worried.

I took some pictures of her nipples because they do look bigger than her cagemate's Mimi, but Mimi is 3 months younger so i need your opinion:

Thanks for all the help!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:23 pm

They look healthy and not crusty. Is there some swelling at the base? Look at pics linked to from this page (mammary tumors):

www.guinealynx.info/.html

They do not look like that but you can see how things start swelling from the base. That is what you would look out for.

Yuugi

Post   » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:08 pm

Oh, i see. She doesn't have any swelling at the base.

Well, her only symptoms then are rumblestrutting and showing herself to her cagemates for maybe 2 seconds 2-3 times a day.
I checked her vagina today and it had sealed up.

I don't really know what to do, maybe i should just observe her and if she actually becomes more sexually agressive take her to the vet?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:24 pm

If her behavior is quite hormonal and does not let up, it is likely a spay would quiet her down. It could also have long term positive health effects. But any surgery is risky.

www.guinealynx.info/_cysts.html

Yuugi

Post   » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:41 am

Is it possible that i'm confusing dominance behaviour with heat? Because Momo only rumblestrutts and wiggles her bum to my new piggie Lilly who has been with them for a month,she doesn't do this to the other pig.
Momo is the dominant pig of the herd.

Yuugi

Post   » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:30 pm

A little update here, Lilly just turned 4 months old and she has been rumbling at Mimi as well and usually just gets chased and nipped.
It kinda looks like Lilly is becoming and adolescent and trying to challenge the other two?Maybe this is why Momo ocasionally rumbles at Lilly and Lilly only.
Because i don't see any other symptom of ovarian cysts on Momo.

Yuugi

Post   » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:14 am

A little update here and a question:

It took at least a week for Momo to get off that heat,but ever since then her heats have been normal,lasting only up to 2 days or so.

Her poop though is ocasionally odd.The poops aren't soft or stringy like they were that very first time,but have an odd shape.
I guess the best way to describe them is that they are tear shaped. I often find some of these poops scattered throughout the cage,but i could say that 90% of the other poops are normal.

Should i be worried?Weightwise she has actually gained some.

One other particular thing about her poops,is that they have some sort of a hole on them,almost like a small crater.I don´t know if this is of any help.

I'm just wondering if i should call the vet and insist on a fecal analysis.

becksters
Two Time Supporter

Post   » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:00 am

It wouldn't hurt to do a fecal, if anything it will rule things out and give you peace of mind.

When the vet checked her belly, did she do an ultrasound / x-ray?

If she's gaining weight that always a good sign if it's holding. I'd be tempted to check again for gas.

If she's eating and drinking and gaining a bit of weight and still pooping I wouldn't be as worried about the shape of them. All of those things are very good. Keep a close eye on her for any changes.

But as I said, I'd want to check for gas again, and do a fecal to see if there is something out of whack internally.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:04 am

Tear shaped can indicate not enough fluids, not enough food. Are you weighing daily? A small hole/crater can be a yeast infection. Nystatin will help.

Read www.guinealynx.info/.html for general info.

Yuugi

Post   » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:08 pm

Back when she first had the actual soft droppings, i weighed her everyday and she preety much mantained her weight.
Now that this is just ocasional i weigh weekly,like usual,and she has been gaining weight.

She's actually the heaviest and she's the first at the vegetable plate and the last to leave, so i don't really know.

I guess my only option is to call the vet and ask if she'll do a fecal,since nystatin is a prescription drug,right?