Three just north of Atlanta, GA have until Tuesday

sammianne

Post   » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:18 am

You're not alone Fourboys.

Weaver, that was a thoughtful and obviously heart felt gesture.

I hope the little ones will enjoy snuggling in them, STF. And thank you for taking these pigs in.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:40 am

I started crying too. When I pulled them out of the box I thought, "Gee these are the tiniest saks I've ever seen. I will save these for the babies!"

I will definitely post pictures once the little ones come. I hope today I will have a better idea of when to expect them.

As of now, these fosters don't know what to do with such luxuries. The beds were smelled quite a bit upon me putting them in the cages, then walked on, but the sleeping is still done in the hay. I will try to bribe them with veggies later today!

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:45 pm

Well, we are back with good news and bad news on all three.

George - Urine does not show infection but given the fact he is going through a 16 oz bottle of water a day and peeing a lot, we are doing a trial of AB's then we'll go from there.

Lump on him is cebaceous (sp) cyst. We are leaving alone.

He is missing an upper incisor. It appears to either have been gone a while or was never there. His bottom incisors were over grown. She clipped the bottoms a bit. We will keep a very close eye on the teeth issues.

We are watching the area around the eye. It does not really concern her since it has not changed since he came to me.

Nala-The one we were worried about most is the healthiest one. She is thin so we will work on that! She is not pregnant that we can tell right now. She will continue to be on pregnancy watch. Her teeth look perfect!

Mia-NOT pregnant either (that we can tell). The lumps are growths around the mammary glands and chest. Dr. A tried to take sample cells but they were not good enough to send to pathology. We will need to do a biopsy for true diagnosis.

Her teeth look good too!

On all 3 heart/lungs sound good. We had toenails clipped (oh yeah, Nala is missing a toenail on one of her back feet!).

They are happy to be back in their large mansions. The girls started getting snippy being back in a small pet store cage for the vet visit! George just took everything in stride. He is loaded with personality.

I feel so bad his teeth are in such rotten shape. Hopefully they will work themselves out. I will supplement all of them with Vitamin C tabs-something I didn't even think of before since it's usually not needed in our household!

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:41 pm

All and all, I would take that as mostly good news! Mia sounds a little scary. Did the vet think a spay would help her issues, or is she thinking more along the lines of cancer that has spread?

Teeth issues are always a worrisome thing. All I can say is that I have had four pigs with teeth issues, and all but one of them was corrected with time. Twinkle was the only one with ongoing teeth problems that ultimately became untreatable due to her other problems. Overall your guy is in good health, so hopefully his future is bright.

No babies is so much better than three sick babies with a problematic mom. I am thankful Mia is no longer "Momma Mia". Overall that is the best news today. Two females in a small cage with an unaltered male, and not showing signs of being pregnant is a miracle in itself.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:58 pm

Welll, shows how much experience I have with palpating "pregnant sows". Hrmph.

The lumps I felt were very soft. I have no idea what they may be, other than they didn't "feel like cancer" -- that is, if cancerous tissue/tumors are supposed to be hard.

Dr. A. already has experience with an intact male guinea pig missing one upper incisor and needing the bottoms clipped a little from time to time. Also watch for molar problems due to the bite permanently being off. MP's molars don't get bad very fast, so hopefully that is not something George will be facing on a regular basis. Tell her she can practice on each other. ;-)

Keep me posted as to what you decide on Mia. We will of course help if surgery is involved.

Fourboys4now

Post   » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:25 pm

I'm so glad the vet visit went better than expected. I've been worried about all of them. Just tell George to pack his bags and I'll be 8boys4now instead! *wink*

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:26 am

The alfalfa hay came today (thank you again, T!). Here's my question. Should I still feed this to the females, even though they are not visibly pregnant right now?

More good news. The girls have discovered that Weaver Beds are fabulous! George liked the cuddle cup for about a minute. Then he discovered it's much more fun to burrow under the towels and fleece!

OOH! ETA: I saw Mia popcorn last night!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:14 pm

I would think you could feed them the alfalfa for a month while they are nursing and regaining their strength.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:05 pm

Ditto Lynx, unless you see any evidence of sludge or stones with them.

I ordered 1/2 bluegrass 1/2 alfalfa ... so I'm hoping if you feed them this they will enjoy the bluegrass, too, and you will have trained them to be bluegrass eaters. Very helpful for otherwise good adoptive homes with slight hay allergies or those who really don't want the complete wreckage mess that comes with timothy. ;-)

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:12 pm

Another little victory. Even with his tooth problems, George can eat a baby carrot by himself. It was a skinny one but it was whole! I didn't have to cut it into really small pieces for him.

And I should've had my camera for this. This morning I noticed Nala had not left her CozySak to do her business. I pulled her out of that one and gave her a clean one after I weighed her. I explained to her that if she did not come out to pee and poop, I would have to take this nice bed away until she learned to come out to take care of business. I can't have her sitting in her pee all day.

Well, tonight I go up there and yes, she's in her sak BUT there is a big pile of poo just outside of it sitting in a big wet spot in the fleece! She listened to me! I think I may have to keep her. ;)

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:47 pm

Just goes to show what a good diet of hay, veggies and GOOD pellets will do.

George - Day one 1042 gms - Day 8 - 1126 gms
Mia - Day one 1146 gms - Day 8 - 1180 gms
Nala - Day one 968 gms - Day 8 - 1026 gms

I thought about giving George some supplemental CC just because of his teeth issues. But I think I'll hold off. He has no trouble eating veggies or hay. He eats his pellets but does leave a bit of a wet mess in the dish.

I wonder if that means his molars are not right. I may have to take him in for xrays once he's done with his AB's. His breathing sounds a bit funny when he's agitated too. Not sure if this is URI or just they way he is.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:26 pm

For reference, folks, those weight gains are in one (1) week's time. Mia was the chunkiest to start with.

"He eats his pellets but does leave a bit of a wet mess in the dish."

That may be his teeth, but that also may be "Spikey Cuisine". Our Spikey has taught all the rest of them how to make a wonderful lovely mush out of their pellets by drinking water, then watering the pellets, then drinking some more water, then eating the pellets. Oh, and sometimes peeing in them adds flavor. (You do not want to know how many bags of pellets I go through in a month.) One even manages to lick the top of the mush so that it looks like an ice-cream cone.

Did Dr. A. look at his teeth with an otoscope?

Breathing when agitated ... mumble. Possibly heart. More mumble. What trial AB is he on?