New rescue - Clementine

Feylin

Post   » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:38 pm

I suspect that there's some bad-diet teeth growing out. That's what happened to Edward and Jacob. Lynx gave me good advice- it could take up to a month to all grow out. In the mean time, supplement with vit C, and make sure they can still eat with the teeth breaking or whatever.

I wish I had tips for wrapping. Jasper was very good (or very drugged) and left his vetwrap alone. I did make sure to keep the line where it ended on the top of his back- on the sides his toes could catch it for scratching off. I stretched the very back part of the vet wrap a bit tighter so that it would catch at his hips. He was basically wrapped from shoulders to hips.

Clementine sounds like she's VASTLY improved!

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:14 pm

I had a cat once that had a hot spot on his neck. He scratched it until he was flinging blood everywhere. I used an old sweatband (for the wrist) on his neck. It was not too tight and he could scratch without causing damage.

Perhaps you could fashion something out of an old sock? I think on a pig a wristband might be too tight but maybe an extra large one would be worth a try too.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:25 pm

Yes don't give up on wrapping to cover the wounds. I sprained my ankle pretty back a while back. It took me several days to get the hang of wrapping it in a way that was supportive and stayed up. I can't imagine how to wrap a pig since they are exactly potatoes with legs, but I imagine you'll get the hang out it sooner rather than later. I imagine you need to get around the front limbs in some way, like a criss-cross swim suit, but I don't know if the pig would tolerate this.

I don't know much about steroids and mites, but my Piggy was treated with both ivermectin and dex at the shelter before I adopted him so it is done.

I'm sure she's feeling loads better now and will continue to improve in the future. Will she let you scratch that tooth spot? Maybe it's just a piece of schmutz in there?

Jennicat

Post   » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:41 pm

I rubbed the tooth spot, it doesn't seem like something stuck on it, nor does it seem like it hurts her (and she tears into apples with gusto). I'll keep with the Vit. C and track it's progress (hopefully growing out).

She is such a funny, sassy pig. I finished wrapping her and she peed on me for the first time ever.

I'm going to try with a sock tonight... I had wrapped the bandages around her front, but her front is actually very sensitive (though she's not itching is very much), and I think that's what made her so irritated by it.

More on pigwrap fun later!

Jennicat

Post   » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:58 pm

Alright, Clemmy is wearing the latest in summer potato sock fashions. She is upset, and says to tell you guys you're jerks for encouraging me to put a potato sweater on her.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:03 pm

Can you possibly please get us a picture of that?? ;-)

Jennicat

Post   » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:15 pm

Clementine is very disappointed that you would go 'aww' at her indignities, Talishan.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:17 pm

*sprlft* LOLOL! It looks like she is truly giving each and every one of us the stinkeye!

Sorry Clemm, but it'll help you feel better. Trust us.

klynne

Post   » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:54 pm

I dare you to fabric paint "Killer" on the back of the sweater.

And then take her out for a walk.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:43 pm

See also www.guinealynx.info/.html for a pic of a body bandage.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:33 am

Clementine, you are lovely in your sweater!

There was a young belle of old Natchez
Whose garments were always in patchez.
When comment arose
On the state of her clothes,
She drawled, When Ah itchez, Ah scratchez!

--Ogden Nash

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:03 am

Do I need to watch my back now? She does, indeed, look very disapproving of the sock sweater! But hey, you will thank me one day young lady! ;)

I hope that helps her. I find it amazing how quickly these little guys respond in the best of living conditions. In another week or so, she will look like a different pig!