Way too hot

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:35 pm

A dehumidifier is like an airconditioner but dumps the heat inside instead of outside. I recommend a small window unit instead -- you can get them very cheaply these days. I cool my whole 2160sq foot house with a single 8000btu unit that is only run during the day -- sometimes just the afternoon and evening. The house is set up to minimize heat gain and air infiltration -- also heavily shaded.

MommyofGus

Post   » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:06 pm

I'm on the third (top) floor of an apr. building. Temps today got up to 97-99 degrees and our a/c isn't working properly. If we have it on it gets to about 85-86 degress, which is bearable but by no means cold.

We decided to turn it off and open the windows (maybe the a/c was tired)? It's hot in here right now, but not unbearable. However, I'm nervous for tomorrow and the rest of this week, as temps are supposed to stay in the high 90's.

I've given lots of water on Gus's veggies, have ice cubes wrapped in a towel and have a water bottle freezing right now. The thing is, Gus ignores these things so I don't feel they are helpful. Is there anything else I can do? Or anything else I should worry about? I'm contemplating taking him to my sisters or parents right now, as I will be worried abuot him all day while I'm in work.

I have a call into maintenance to see if they will look at it, so fingers crossed.

bingley

Post   » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:36 pm

I live in L.A. and to deal with the killer heat (and save on bills!) we would put one of those large square fans against our kitchen window. This would pull air from inside the apartment to the outside. Then we would open our bedroom windows which were on the opposite end of the apartment and the suction from the fan in the kitchen would pull in the breeze from the bedrooms. It worked GREAT! This is our first summer in our new house and we have a lot of ceiling fans, so we have yet to bring out the square fan! Do this in the evenings though, you don't want to bring in hot air!

I would also try putting their little sofas/cuddle cups in the fridge.

MommyofGus

Post   » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:43 pm

I currently have 4 plans strategically placed around the apt.

I'm also in the middle of packing clothes for work....we're going to grandma's for the night!

It's 8:45 pm and it's 91 degrees in here. I can't imagine what it would feel like at high noon tomorrow!

Lucky34100

Post   » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:21 pm

Does anyone else give their pigs ice cubes? Mine seem to love licking them.

To make tiles even cooler you can put those in the fridge too.

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:41 pm

Ice cubes, yep, piggies here like to lick them also.
When it's nice enough to open up and a touch on the warm side for them I just stuff some pillows pockets with ice packs & frozen water bottles to put in the cage. It helps soak up the condensation and helps them last longer.

MommyofGus

Post   » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:56 pm

Yes, Gus does enjoy licking ice cubes. He bites them too and that sends shivers up my spine! Actually, right before we left to come to my parents house, he was sprawled out on top of the towel with ice cubes, so maybe he does grasp that concept.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:13 pm

I just put those hard freezer things in my pigs cages downstairs wrapped in wash cloths. My husband will probably have a fit tomorrow when he goes to make his lunch and can not find them for his lunch box! Oh well. Pigs first in this heat.

There is something wrong with our downstairs air conditioner unit. We have to call someone out tomorrow. It's set at 78 but has been a steady 85 or more in certain rooms all day. And a whopping 98 outside. Feels like it was over 100 but after 90, every degree more feels like 100 to me!

I'm also going to try someone's idea on another thread of freezing pumpkin in ice cube trays.

Upstairs where the fosters are it is fine.

Froggieflies

Post   » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:44 pm

I've been very lucky, even with all the heat we have central air, and I have a floor fan so my piggies and I stay nice and cool all summer long.

My turtle on the other had, really enjoys his basking lamp and looks at the piggies and I like were crazy for enjoying all the coolness. Silly turtle!

I do like the frozen veggies and fruits idea. I am going to try it as a treat for the piggies soon.

Ledasmom

Post   » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:11 am

I finally realized that, since in the winter we get nasty cold winds coming up the stairs if the outside basement door is left open, if we leave it open now the chilly basement air gets flushed up here. Very nice for everyone, pigs included. I've been giving them two-liter frozen bottles wrapped in towels; both the boys love to get close to the cold bottles, which we now call their "frozen girlfriends".
I also have a tile (well, since I stepped on it, two pieces of tile) that I put in the freezer, and I fill their bottle about a quarter of the way and freeze it so they have cold water.

Anais

Post   » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:24 am

Hmm, I thought that cold food could upset their stomachs. I guess not?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:32 am

Does anyone know what the difference is between a humidifer, and an air cooler? I have been looking at some of the so-called "high velocity" air coolers for the loft where Sebastian and Oliver live (and I sleep), but notice very mixed ratings on them in terms of how well they actually cool.

We do have central air, but the upstairs is always quite a bit warmer than downstairs in the summer.