List of fruits and veggies?

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:18 pm

You should not feel "dopey" Athena, they really do sell starter kits for potatoes. Silly garden center.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:58 pm

Must. Not. Laugh.

HazelNut

Post   » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:21 pm

Why is it that my boys turn their noses up to most of the "almost daily" options on that fruits and veggies list? Stinkers.

Ledasmom

Post   » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:38 pm

You can also get ornamental sweet-potato vines with yellow-green or purple leaves, which go very nicely in hanging baskets. Same species, just different coloring, like red-leaved lettuce.

WEAVER
one pig at a time.

Post   » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:44 pm

Why is it that my boys turn their noses up to most of the "almost daily" options on that fruits and veggies list?
Mine will eat just about anything and everything and actually enjoy lettuces the most. I think I have a bunch of scavengers. They eat us out of the house! Just walk into the room with something in your hand to feed them and they act like they may jump right out the cage to get it no matter what it is. Poor pigs.

My vet tells me all of the time that they need to be put on a diet. It hurts my feelings because I don't think they are fat, just healthy looking. When I tell her that she says I am in denial. I just can't say no to their little faces and I feel that with more than one or two in a cage I need to make sure to put in enough food to feed everyone, even the less dominant piggies. It is non-win situation.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:35 pm

In order to get enough leaves to feed your pigs, please do plant those sweet potato plantlets in the garden. Once they take hold, they will grow like kudzu and you'll have tons for your pigs.

CodysMama

Post   » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:08 pm

I got radish greens (the actual radishes are eaten by humans) in my farmshare this week. I'm assuming they're fine for the pigs?

Bugs Mom

Post   » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:35 pm

Lady Bug says to tell you the radish tops are SUPER! She wishes I'd give her more of them. I really don't give her very many and, since I grow them myself, she gets the young greens before they form the root.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:25 pm

Radish greens are likely high in calcium (and maybe oxalic acid too) so they're good treats but not so much for regular food.

CodysMama

Post   » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:10 pm

The piggies enjoyed the radish greens, as well as the last of the random greens from last week's farmshare. We pick up the this week's produce tomorrow. We will all be eating well this summer.

BuddyMommy

Post   » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:29 pm

Here is my list for my piggy and what he gets every day:

Morning:
Top of a Bell pepper, Timothy Hay, Pellets, Chew toy

Afternoon: Little bit more hay, a baby carrot, the same chew toy.

Night: Little bit more hay, and a kiss good night.

Every other day I switch of a top of a Bell Pepper with a slice of green apple.

Athena
Notorious P.I.G.

Post   » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:04 pm

Lynx, I plan to put them in the garden. I hope I'm wrong about 4 months. They seem to be growing so slow. But they are not in dirt yet. I'm hoping to be able to feed the pigs mostly from the garden by fall, if we are still at this house.

I've planted parsley, celery, kale, chard, and some other green leafy things I can't remember. I also have basil, and some old, established oregano and thyme plants.

This celery seeded itself from a six pack of celery I bought over three years ago. They love celery leaves. Yum.

Baby celery in front: