Rosie is Limping

Trick

Post   » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:39 am

Thank you very much everyone :)

I think I am going to make an appointment with our far away cavy savvy vet and take Rosie to see him. I would like her to be examined thoroughly and I want to try out Vetmedin to see if it helps her. I think it might be what she needs and it is worth a try. I can get him to prescribe it far more easily than the local vets. I also hope he will be able to tell us what her weight gain is comprised of, fluid or not.

Hopefully he can help us sort out how to measure out the Fortekor more accurately as well. I think in the meantime I will give her a little simethicone now and then as she is occasionally making noises and I don't want her to get filled with gas again.

Thank you for all the information, I feel much more sure of myself going to see good vet when I am primed with all this information, which I can print out for good measure.

jacktheguineapig

Post   » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:56 am

you should make a smaller cage for her and get a vet check make shore (spell it wrong lost my menory) her food and water are close so she doesnt have to walk on the leg

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:18 am

jacktheguineapig, you probably won't want to post advice in the medical forum until you've been here a little longer.

Trick

Post   » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:17 pm

Looking for poo experts this time ;)

Rosie had a poo this evening when out for her meds (could have been a special poo, she just drops them onto Jon and expects him to pass them to her) which had an air bubble in it.

It was so weird, an air bubble making up one end of the poo, the bubble was all filmy like and it could be pushed but didn't burst. It went down after a while.

Her next (special) poo was fine, she did fart a bit when the first bubbly one came out.

So I'm thinking it was gas, I gave her some simethicone to help out with that.

I was just wondering how normal that was and if it indicated a serious gas problem as opposed to a more normal one?

She's just under 3lb now by half an ounce, still too heavy by a fair amount but better at least. She's still going to the good vet, I was just interested if this weird bubble poo was significant.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:21 pm

If it's just the one I probably wouldn't worry about it but still keep an eye out. Lady Bug had these kinds of poos a few times while we sere still going through the diagnostic phase of finding out what was wrong. She did have a large amount of gas but certainly more than one poo like that.

I'd just keep an eye on her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:50 pm

The bubble may have been encased mucus?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:54 pm

Ditto Bugs Mom and Lynx. We've seen that with ours, too, and as long as it's an isolated case IME it doesn't indicate a serious problem (yet, anyway).

If she farted, that's good. For her anyway, maybe not for Jon. ;-)

Trick

Post   » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:31 am

Thanks for the info :) I never imagined guinea pig ownership would entail these kind of conversations!

I'll keep an eye on her as ever, hopefully Jon will be able to get through to Mr. Good Vet tomorrow.

Trick

Post   » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:38 am

Okay, since my last posts on this thread Rosie made a complete U-turn, lost all her excess weight and turned into little miss happy popcorning pants. I was keeping an eye on her to look for signs of her needing to travel out to see the good vet but didn't want to put her through the stress of a long train journey if I didn't need to and money was a bit tight. She's been totally fine and kept the weight off.

Now I am kicking myself again for not going with my gut instinct.

I went in to see the girls as normal this morning and could hear Rosie from all the way across the room - hooting. She has not hooted since she first went on heart meds. Not only that but her breathing is... not noisy but I can see the effort, her sides are flaring out as if she has a case of the hiccups rather than just breathing. We gave her her meds as normal, it's not like she was overdue them or anything at all, and now I am totally panicking.

What do I do to stop her hooting and harder breathing? Does she need something to fix her and what is it? I won't hesitate to take her to the emergency vets but I need to know what to do to fix her in case they don't.

Help?

Trick

Post   » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:58 am

Her breathing is now laboured and she's wheezing badly, I'm trying to find a vet that is open :/

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:02 am

Oh dear. Good thoughts coming your way.

Trick

Post   » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:13 am

I gave her some extra furosemide (lasix) and her breathing has quietened. I'm being pressured into not taking her to the emergency vets now and waiting until this evening. I don't know what to do :(