New rescue: Underweight Boar

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:45 pm

It could be a sebacious cyst. Take a look at these pics and see if the stuff is at the surface and you could remove it yourself:

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25794

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:51 pm

Worth every minute, yes. But I still send empathy on the energy. ;-)

If you do decide to try to squish it yourself, two things: one, Smudgie will holler loud enough to wake the neighbors (and be fine ten seconds later); and two, put something on it afterward. Silvadene is ideal for this if you have any.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:54 pm

Tell me about this silvadene available from This Little Piggie. I'm under the impression it's a prescription only product and am wary of buying online. How is it available on amazon then?

I don't know that I can express it myself. I just don't have enough hands. I can't restrain him and still have 2 hands on the cyst. No one in my family would be willing to help.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:56 pm

The SSD available on Sef's site is what our vet has given us. It's a generic for Silvadene and seems to work just fine.

I too have been under the impression several things (like Cosequin) were Rx, only to find they are not (or aren't any longer).

rshevin

Post   » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:00 pm

This website is very trustworthy.
http://www.drugs.com/cons/silvadene-topical.html

"Silver sulfadiazine is available only with your doctor's prescription"

Cosequin is brand name for a supplement. It just happens to be marketed to vets. Advantage and Frontline are "restricted to professional sale" but Revolution is absolutely prescription only. That's why people have to buy it from Australia. Basically when you buy those things at pet stores and online it is black market. They are bought on a mass veterinary license and resold or repackaged from a foreign country. Whether that bothers you or not is a personal decision.

I don't mean to be difficult about not buying something that's available, but it makes me very nervous. Quality control is lame at best on these products and getting them black market worries me I guess. I am a worry wart.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:01 pm

I don't blame you one bit about being concerned. I don't like the idea of something my vet sold me being either repackaged or resold outside the US. I'm a little surprised Amazon would allow a seller doing this there.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:14 pm

Smudgie (and Piggy) will be going to the vet Saturday morning. I am already nervous! The only appointments this week were during a time when I had several meetings for work so I'm thankful this can wait a few days.

I poked him a little and the cyst is painful. I hope it isn't an abscess of some kind. He's never taken an antibiotic since I've had him. I'm trying to bolster his weight with pellet mush and pumpkin every night just in case.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:53 pm

Sending good thoughts for Smudgie's and Piggy's vet appointments this weekend. I hope everything goes smoothly. They are very handsome boys.

rshevin

Post   » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:41 pm

Thanks for thinking of my babes. I'm hoping everyone gets good reports.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:19 am

Good thoughts for you and your boys.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:11 pm

Well, we're back already. This is the strangest vet I've ever been to in that you get seen really quickly for Saturday appointments. During the week, you wait FOREVER.

Smudgie's diagnosis is likely a benign tumor of some kind. The vet was unable to express anything and FNA brought nothing but some blood. I'm supposed to watch carefully. His weight is up 40 grams from his checkup in December though! Yay Smudgie! However this does mean I need to check my scale and maybe buy a new one. He was 910 or so here and 950 at the vet. Big difference on a little dude.

I showed the vet his eye (where the iris is turning white), and he was amazed. He'd never seen that before (he's pretty young). Broke out the text book to get the right diagnostic name since it had slipped my mind. Guess I taught the vet something.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:49 pm

Today Sef posted about her Otis's ear polyp. Smudgie has one as well that I've mentioned casually at a point or two in this thread but I thought I'd post a picture.

I noticed he didn't like having his ears touched from the beginning. He also has some spots that look like poor regrowth and scaring from ear bites in addition to this polyp that may aggrivate this. My vet at the time in Virginia blew me off and said he didn't see anything. My new vet in Alabama noticed it right away but we both agreed not to do anything since Smudgie is at least 5 years old now and always appears somewhat frail (even though he's not really, he just never regained weight after he was starved poor dear).

I'm always interested in any feedback you may have on his ear and hope it can help Sef too.. Do note that he has some roaning in this ear so his skin looks especially strange (at least, this is my best guess, he has roaning elsewhere). I am, of course, not holding him in a vice grip. I'm pulling back the skin behind and below his ear to get a good view without him shaking his head.