Fatty eye gone awry

rcrolivia

Post   » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:07 am

All better (hopefully)!
The vet gave her a local anesthetic on her eye and snipped off that part of the conjunctiva that was hanging out. She said it was necro-something (dead skin), so she trimmed it off.

The vet did not mention the name of this condition, and she said she didnt know what it was.

Sent me home with Gentamicin Ophthamalgic Solution to put in her eye once a day.

We will see how it goes.... otherwise, Ruthie is doing great and eating her green leaf lettuce right now.

Here is a picture I just took:

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:09 am

Go Ruthie! Glad you're doing so well.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:40 am

Ruthie looks much better, and so pretty. :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:54 am

The eye looks great! I can add this pic too.

smo

Post   » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:49 pm

Sorry to bump in on an old thread, but I just wanted to add my experience. I had a guinea pig with the exact same symptoms and it went away in a couple of days with a steroid and AB eye drop.

Here's a picture:

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:17 pm

Very unusual, smo. Would you like me to add your pic to this thread? What kind of antibiotic drop did your pig get? Was the steroid injected?

smo

Post   » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:10 pm

Just basic steroid + AB drop. I believe it was Oftan Dexa - dexamethasone and bentsalconium chloride (paraphrasing, I'm not sure what the english names are). The extrusion visible on the photo went totally away in something like 4 days after administering the eye drops. Also nothing was injected, just drops.

Just go ahead and add the picture, I think it adds to the diagnostic value :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:23 pm

Thanks for the pic. I was surprised how prominent it was and that it went away fairly quickly after giving eye drops.