Help with Babies please

Feylin

Post   » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:34 pm

Just think of all the homless breads waiting next time you think of pulling out that bread machine or going to the grocery store! Plus, the bread isle never has good directions for caring for your newly bought bread.

Good thoughts for the babies!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:42 pm

Poor little ones.

See what the vet says. I am very much afraid he or she will say it will be in their best interest (and yours) to euthanize them. If they are otherwise healthy I would emphatically disagree.

Try the water therapy. This young the muscles might be able to develop into usable, if not fully normal, legs. I would also second the cart idea. Although it may not work as well for front legs as for rear, I don't know if anyone has actually tried it. It may work just great.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15475

The key to me would be if they are in all other ways healthy. If there are other deformities or malfunctions, internally or externally, it will be much harder, but if they are otherwise healthy, they will certainly have a chance if you are willing and able to help them out a little.

albi

Post   » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:43 pm

Hello everyone,

Thanks so much for your great advice and support.

We phoned around last night and found a vet that was open on sundays. As it turns out, he has experience with pigs as well!

When we went to take them, we noticed the smallest one (the dark headed fellow with both legs deformed) was very lethargic. We hurried, however, the poor little guy died on the way :-(.

The good news is that the other guy (with only one deformed leg) appears in very good condition. We need to monitor his weight and ensure he's eating. If he doesn't gain weight, we will bottle feed him as long as he needs it.

The vet examined the one that didn't make it, and said that all the bones in his front legs were totally fused and malformed. He suspects that his mother is the product of severe inbreeding by the pet store. When we purchased her, they described her to us as 'breeding stock'. However, she never become pregnant so they were going to euthanize her. So cruel.

Anyway, the parents were seperated before birth to ensure this doesn't happen again. I feel bad, as Pepe (the male) seems very upset and flustered that they're not together. The new guy is a male, so when he grows up we can put them together maybe? I'm just concerned that they might fight.

Thanks so much to everyone for the valuable information and support. We are going to pursue water therapy also.

lisam

Post   » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:57 pm

I think it's a great idea to put them together. At three weeks, when you need to separate the baby from his mom.

klynne

Post   » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:06 am

"If he doesn't gain weight, we will bottle feed him as long as he needs it."

NO DAIRY PRODUCTS OR MILK REPLACERS/FORMULAS!

Sorry to shout, but we've "seen" too many posters unintentionally kill the pups, trying to go that route.

Please read this site's handfeeding pages and use a special herbivore supplement such as Oxbow's Critical Care.

www.oxbowhay.com

Sorry about the pup who didn't make it.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:14 am

If you have any trouble getting the Critical Care, you can use pellet mash given in a syringe. I'm sorry the other pups didn't make it.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:16 am

I'm sorry about the pup that didn't make it.

pigsforlife3

Post   » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:32 am

Critical Care is fantastic and is stocked in Australia too - I think you are from Australia? (I noticed that your location on GPC was Bundaberg, QLD).

All the places listed here with "CC" next to them stock Critical Care:
http://www.oxbowaustralia.com/QLD.htm

If all of those places are too far, than I can get you in contact with some guinea pig owners who live in QLD that may be able to send some up to you.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:54 am

Also, baby boy will likely do very well with his daddy once he's 21 days old. Remember, he needs to be removed from mom at exactly 21 days old, before he becomes fertile. Neither dad nor son should ever be allowed with mama again. They can live next door to each other, provided they behave themselves and the cage AND YOUR FAMILY are 100% safe and committed.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:46 am

I'm very sorry that the little dark-headed pup is gone.

Sending good thoughts for the other little one, and his mom as well.

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:30 am

I'm sorry for the loss of the little pup. What a sad story of greed over animal care. I hope your little boy thrives and gets to live happily with his dad. Funny how this happens with piggies. You get two and end up with several. Thank you for caring for them.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:37 am

I'm sorry for the loss of the pup. Hopefully the remaining one will be ok.