Celery Leaves?

guineapigbillie

Post   » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:29 pm

Can guinea pigs eat celery leaves? Sorry I'm sure that there are lots of threads like this, but I couldn't find one. Thank you! :)

theresa

Post   » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:30 pm

From what I've read celery leaves are fine for them. but celery itself should be given sparingly and in little pieces as they could choke on the strings.

guineapigbillie

Post   » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:36 pm

Yeah I know. I gave them The celery part of celery and they didn't even touch it. lol. Thank you Teresa!

Leb
Supporter in '08

Post   » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:40 pm

Mine absolutely love the leaves! But I think just like celery should be fed only a couple of times a week.

guineapigbillie

Post   » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:50 pm

That's cool Leb!

sammianne

Post   » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:25 pm

My pigs love the leaves, too. It is their favorite part of the celery.

Slightly off topic but, they also love the green tops of carrots. They'll even eat the greens before the actual carrot and carrot is a huge favorite here so that says something.

MommyofGus

Post   » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Gus lurves celery leaves, but warning: it makes him gassy!!

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:47 pm

Celery leaves are like candy here. Given sparingly but loved to the very last bite!

rshevin

Post   » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:53 pm

I don't buy celery that often, but when I do I only buy bunches that have thick, green, healthy leaves. They're very well loved here.

rpaws

Post   » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:22 am

Like rshevin I don't celery leaves often, but when I do I get the bunch with lots of leaves at the top. At the vegetable stand, I have to ask them to pick one for me. The people there think I am using it for soup or stew - like a cook.

My guinea pigs gobbled the leaves like they were candy.

guineapigbillie

Post   » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:59 pm

How about basil leaves??

lisam

Post   » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:05 pm

Basil leaves are fine. Some pigs love them, some won't touch them.