Peaches

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 1:47 pm

Yes, OD is what satins often have - I have a pig with it here.

The bones look like they're full of mothholes on xray:

Heddwyn has been on 0.2ccs of 1.5mg/ml Metacam for the 3 years he's been with me. Without that he's very uncomfortable.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 2:06 pm

Thank you for posting the x-ray, I couldn't find one for some reason (reason being my poor searching). Poor satins! That's great that there's such a manageable treatment (and what sounds like an affordable one).

Peaches's bones were like someone drew with white out on the film, it was quite shocking--we're going to see if we can take a picture of it next time we're there. But no, absolutely no moth holes.

Once again, I'm shocked she's actually even alive. It makes sense why she screams if she falls over in the cage, the twisting of her spine (if it's practically fused) must be incredibly painful.

Peaches's dosage has seemed to work very well for her. She will run around and climb over things and be wonderfully active now that she has a roommate as well as her "health ( :/ ). I know Matt has always been so worried about liver and kidney damage though that he has wanted to try lowering it. I can talk to him about keeping it the same even with the arthritis meds.

eta: Salana we are never able to go to the vet without Peaches screaming a little. She screams sometimes when Sophie walks near Herb, so forget about a quiet moment when Dr. Schwartz wants to take a sample of her ear gunk. I think her screams can melt the hearts of grizzled men within 10 miles.
Last edited by GuineaPinny on Sat May 24, 2008 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topaz

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 2:06 pm

Poor little Peaches. :(

I'm so glad she has you and Matt looking out for her now.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 7:51 pm

Mum, we had one that would probably have benefited from regular metronidazole. Our vet at the time told us he had an overgrowth, or slightly excessive amount, of a protozoan that naturally occurs in their GI tract. With Peaches' other problems, it makes sense to me she might need it regularly. (How many of us get regular yeast infections [ugh?] Same idea.)

0.2 mL of 0.5 mg/mL meloxicam is about 1/2 what she needs, very roughly, at the least. Maybe more. If meloxicam's kidney stress is a consideration, consider Rimadyl (carprofen). It can place a load on the liver, but we have had much better success with it for long-term use than we have with Metacam.

To us glucosamine has been worthless. I hope it helps Peaches.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat May 24, 2008 11:48 pm

Are the jaw bones thicker than they would be in a healthy pig? There was some bone disease that I think one of Pinta's pigs had -- maybe Paget's disease? The jaws were very thick.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Sun May 25, 2008 12:43 am

Glucosamine was originally suggested by someone else in the rescue, because some of the other special needs guinea pigs have really profited from it. I'm really hoping Peaches benefits from it as well, it would be nice to keep improving her quality in life.

Could the differing doses of meloxicam be because of her low weight? 693 grams is her absolute highest. When she first went in she weighed 1lb1oz.

Lynx, Matt and I are both trying to remember her jaw bones and I can't. I'm thinking it might be power of suggestion that I remember them as thick and that I don't actually remember.

The next time we go I can try and check out the X-Ray, or take a photo of it while it's back-lit perhaps?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun May 25, 2008 1:07 am

Yes, her weight is very low, and this would explain the low dosage.

Do check her jaw. Pinta did have a pig with Piaget's disease - but it was also a satin with - I believe - osteodystrophy.

happiestgirl

Post   » Sun May 25, 2008 10:12 am

Poor Peachie! She sure is a trouper!

GuineaPinny

Post   » Sun May 25, 2008 11:18 am

Poor Peachie! She sure is a trouper!

I know! She is a marvel. I remember her on her first night when she couldn't even stand, and we thought we might be taking her to the vet to have her euthanized the next day--but she fought so hard to get better. And I remember everyone was telling us how hard hand feeding critical care might be (we were very new to pigs), and Peaches loved it! We just put it on a spoon and she ate from there after a while, but when we were syringe feeding she couldn't wait for the next one! She has such a will to live, it is astounding. I don't think I could ever say I nursed Peaches back to health. I think Matt and I gave Peaches room and board and she had at it!

Do check her jaw. Do you mean on the x-ray? Or is this something we would be able to get a feel or by feeling Peaches's jaw in comparison to our other pigs?

Thank you so much!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun May 25, 2008 11:21 am

Do check her jaw. Do you mean on the x-ray?
Yes, I meant on the xray!

GuineaPinny

Post   » Sun May 25, 2008 11:45 am

Okay, our vet retains ownership of x-rays so this might be tricky to do for a bit, but we will find a way and then report back.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Mon May 26, 2008 11:13 pm

R.E. glucosamine: Peaches has been much more mobile and active lately. I'm not sure if this could be the glucosamine working already, but there has been a definite increase in her mobility. She also has started climbing up into the taller cuddle cup which she was previously unable to do. We were hoping it would help with her knees, as that's where our vet said the arthritis was at its worst--Peaches is climbing up much higher, as I said. She also loves the taste!

I think we might be able to make a positive report on glucosamine in conjunction with meloxicam in Peaches's severe case of arthritis.

klynne

Post   » Mon May 26, 2008 11:34 pm

Jumping in on this late, so may have missed something, but we have much better results using the glucosamine complexes with arthritic horses when we do them in conjunction with MSM.

Something to run by the vet, maybe.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Mon May 26, 2008 11:42 pm

What's MSM?

klynne

Post   » Mon May 26, 2008 11:56 pm

GuineaPinny

Post   » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:20 pm

Peaches's lower incisor has broken off and so she has been on a steady critical care diet. She's been eating it 'round the clock. She went to the vet today to get checked out and by their scale she was at her lowest weight (625g) in four visits and had lost 50g since her last visit.

We are instructed to bring her back to the vet next week after giving her thicker critical care to bulk her up. Any other tips for weight gain?

Also wanted to share Peaches' x-rays with you all. They show the severe arthritis in her knees, her fused spine, and the calcification of her bones because of her severe malnutrition.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:04 pm

Poor little Peaches. Please give her just one of many scritches for me and tell her I think she's a sweet adorable little girl. Those x-rays are so sad! How lucky she is now.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:18 pm

Scritches given. I know, they made me very sad too. He pulled up Sophie's x-rays and had them side by side and it was very sobering for what Peaches must go through each day just to move around.

__

Peaches has been eating critical care around the clock, and we got to weigh-in, and she had gained 1 gram. I'm glad she's not losing, but normally Peaches gains a ton when she's on critical care. Any tips?

Should we put a moratorium on floor times? Add pedialyte? Anything? I remember reading about rolled oats on some threads, though seeing that as controversial. Please help Peachie get her weight back on, she doesn't have much to lose :(

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:02 am

Sending good thoughts for pretty Peaches! She has a strong spirit. :)

"We are instructed to bring her back to the vet next week after giving her thicker critical care to bulk her up. Any other tips for weight gain?"

Is Peaches still willing to eat her CC on a plate? You could also try moistening regular pellets, and offering them to her.

In case you haven't read these links:

Critical care mix-ins thread

Critical Care and handfeeding supplements/recipes thread

GuineaPinny

Post   » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:50 pm

Yes, Peaches is still willing to eat CC on a plate. Actually we put it on in a bowl and Peaches put her paws on the side and tips it toward her, obstructing the view of her face! She's so cute!

Thank you so much for the links. I'm crap at searching when I need to be good at it. Tracis you are GL's google.

117 posts