Otis' Medical Thread (Polyp?)

rshevin

Post   » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:34 pm

I will try and take one for you Sef, but Smudgie's ears are dark and I don't know how well they'll come out, especially since he does NOT like me touching that ear (never has). If I can get one, I'll post it in his thread and put a link here.

Jo, may I butt in here and ask what you think of Epiotic sold at pet stores? My local supply shop carries that and Nolvasan.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:44 pm

About the same.

Ugh, I hate the fragrance of Epi-otic also. Apple blossom, my foot!

You wanna know what I like TONS better? Oxyfresh Pet Ear Cleaner. WAY better. I used it about 4 years ago and haven't looked back. And I've tried tons of stuff. It's even good for general skin cleansing (for abrasion type things, not wounds).

rshevin

Post   » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:50 pm

Surprisingly to me, I was able to get some decent pictures! They aren't as good as yours Sef, because I'm working with artificial lighting. Link to Smudgie's thread: https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 70#1367870

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:53 am

rshevin, thanks. It does look very similar to Otis' growth. I haven't read back through your thread yet, but are you using anything special on it?

I might try to locate Oxyfresh Pet Ear Cleaner today per Josephine's recommendation and give that a try.

rshevin

Post   » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:11 pm

Sef, I'm not using anything at all. I clean his ears with a barely damp cotton pad and that's it. I don't know if I should be more aggressive or not. The vet thought it was a "watch it" situation.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:37 pm

No change in the polyp. I used the Tri-Otic for a week as recommended, but it has remained the same size and shape (as far as I can tell) as before. One thing I did notice today, is that it looks like Otis may have recently scratched it. There is some dried blood that wasn't there a few days ago. Is there anything non-irritating I can use to clean it up? My thought was to swab a little dilute povidone iodine on it, but wanted to see if there is something milder I should use instead. ?

rshevin

Post   » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:47 pm

Honestly, I'd use some clear water. You have to be very careful what you use in ears. Chlorhexadine, for example, can cause deafness!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:22 pm

Exactly. I wasn't even sure if PVP was considered safe or not. Just cleaning it up with some water sounds good to me.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:08 pm

Update: The mass in Otis' ear has not improved, and has gradually gotten larger since the original post. It did not seem to bother him until recently; this past week though, I noticed that he had lost some weight and seemed maybe a little less active. I'm not sure if it's related to the ear problem or something entirely different.

I had scheduled an appointment for first thing tomorrow for an ear check with our regular vet, but in the meantime I'm starting to grow concerned that something else is going on. A couple of times this weekend, Otis squatted and whimpered a little -- not sure if he was urinating at the time. I'm not seeing any blood, and he's not doing it often.

I do know that he has lost sight in one eye (started out as osseous metaplasia). The reduced activity *could* be because he doesn't see as well as he used to, but the crying sound is worrying. When he rests, he's not lying down but sitting in a squatting position. Not hunched up, exactly, and his fur is not fluffed up. That doesn't seem like it would be related to the ear issue.

He's eating and defecating normally.

Could use some positive thoughts for the vet tomorrow. I'll be taking his buddy Toby with him for moral support.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:12 pm

Fingers crossed for Otis tomorrow. I hope it's nothing serious. Please give him an extra scritch from an all blind to a half blind.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:20 pm

Thanks, Bugs Mom. Even husband (who usually says I'm obsessing or worrying too much), commented that Otis doesn't seem to feel well today.

Hoping Dr. M can figure out what's going on with the little guy.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:01 pm

Crap. More crying tonight, and he's not eating his pellets. I picked him up and looked at his incisors; they look okay. I also extruded his penis, and that seemed to cause some discomfort. It didn't really look red or inflamed, nothing stuck in it; no sign of blood. Could be the start of a UTI, though.

Should I start him on some Bactrim tonight, do you think? His appt. is tomorrow morning at 8:15.

(How do these guys always seem to know when it's the holidays and your vet is getting ready to take some time off??)