Going rate for pig sitting?

Gessika

Post   » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:15 pm

I will be out of state for about 2 weeks coming up soon and I will need a pig sitter for Wattle, Mocha and Daub. What is the going rate? I will of course provide the food, etc.

Due to my living situation, the pigs will need to be staying at the pig sitter's home.

Thanks for any input on this. I've never had to leave my pigs for more than a few days before.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:28 pm

Someone on this forum posted a great website a while ago:

http://buinea.com/pigsit/index.php

It's pig-sitters available world -wide. I was very surprised how little everyone charges. I noticed some other rescues (as well as ours) do some as a fundraiser for the rescue.

WheeksandSqueeks

Post   » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:54 pm

Where are you from? I think it depends on the person, the drive, etc.

Gessika

Post   » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:56 pm

I'm in Minneapolis, and the pigs will be at the pig sitter's home.

GuineaPiggin

Post   » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:17 am

Was going to volunteer to watch your piggies, but I'm not sure my dad would allow more critters. =( I can run it by him, seeing as we do have the space. Let me know.

"Pricing"/Rates: When I dog-sit I get $25/day (and stay at the person's house); cat-sitting is $15/day and just stop over daily (since cats don't much care if you're there or not as long as they get fed).

I've not done little-critter-sitting, but I've been offered $10-15/day (would do it for free) to care for a few, for the people at my mom's work. And that was for hamsters and gerbils.

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:09 am

We're pigsitting 2 pigs right now for $12 per day (for 2 pigs) and we're providing food, hay, and pellets. I don't really think I'm making money on the deal, but oh well. When we leave town and our petsitter comes here to look after 4 pigs and 4 cats, we pay her about $26 for an hour's work. That includes feeding, cleaning cages, scooping litterboxes, etc. It used to be less but she recently raised her rates.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:00 am

Depends on the sitter and if the sitter provides the veg/hay/bedding or not and if they come to you or you go to them. You may also find another pig owner to share vacation sitting with for little/no exchange of funds. I usually ask for very little because the pigs come to me and it's just as easy to feed one or two more as it is to feed my four.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:17 am

We paid $8.00/day for 3 birds, 1 crayfish and 2 pigs back when the pigs were still alive. It was the neighbor's kid, and we provided everything in little serving-size baggies. He didn't need to do any cleaning. I pay more if the petsitter is cleaning the cages too, or medicating. He would just come over, put food in the cage, check to see that everyone was well, and then split.

I remember paying quite a bit when a vet tech sat because Snowflake needed meds and twice-daily critical care. It was worth it, though.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:29 am

I pig-sit on occasion. Here is the Agreement I use:

~~~~

Your Name:
Phone:
Address:
Name(s) of Guinea Pig(s):
Drop Off Date: Time:
Pick Up Date: Time:
Veterinarian(s):

Emergency number where you can be reached:

Cell or Alternate Numbers:

Any guinea pig health concerns, special needs, etc.:

For $5 a day per pig, I agree to:
 Board guinea pig(s)
 Feed them twice daily
 Clean their cage regularly
 Trim nails
 Check anal sacs and clean if needed
 Use due diligence to avoid illness, injury or escape, and seek veterinary care if deemed necessary

You agree to:
 Bring housing (cages)
 Provide a supply of pellets & hay
 Not hold liable for illness or injury, as long as reasonable care is given
 Notify your veterinarian that your guinea pig(s) will be in my care, and establish an account for any treatment required during that time
 Pay for boarding services at the time of pick-up

X________________________ Date ______________

X________________________ Date ______________

Thank you - I look forward to seeing your guinea pig(s) soon!
~~~~~

Feylin

Post   » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:14 pm

Sef, that's basically what my petsitter had for me. I think it's a good thing to have so all bases are covered. Mine charged $18/day for 7 pigs (2 cages) + 1 tortoise and I provided all the food and bedding. She changed the fleece out once.

She also required me to set up a waiver with my vet and agree that she could determine if any animal needed to see the vet. It's nicer for me to know that she'll just take a sick pig right away and not worry about calling me and then deciding. You might want to set up something similar with your vet and petsitter.

Unibear

Post   » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:38 pm

wow awsome , hey sef where are you from? I'm going to be gone for a month nov/dec.

camende
Supporter 08-09 & 11-13

Post   » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:04 pm

I was on vacation for 10 days in June. I paid $20/day. I have 6 piggies in 2 cages. I supplied the veggies. I even left a gift card for the grocery store so she could buy more veggies. (I also left a blank check made out to my vet in case of a problem)

She came twice a day. She did one complete cage change while I was gone.

I made a daily "to do" check list so she wouldn't miss anything. (plus I called every day to check on my babies)