Ack! Why did Jackie lose weight?

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:05 pm

I guess I should say, Jackie is bedded on CareFresh and GIANT MOUNDS OF STINKY POOPIES as that is how he chooses to decorate his sleeping spots.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:44 pm

I wonder if he has a yeast infection?

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:51 pm

I wonder, too. His poops are very bubbly and stinky.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:49 pm

I'd try some Nystatin and if that doesn't work, some Flagyl. I believe both are pretty benign (although we had one pig that could not tolerate even Flagyl, even with probiotic supplementation).

Me wonders if bubbly and stinky are not in some way contributing to his part problems as well. Can't visualize how, but it just seems logical they may be connected.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:46 am

Jackie keeps having squishy, mushy, gooey poops. Intermittently. At first I thought he had gorged himself on pellets or veggies, so I cut out the pellets and limited the veggies. When he did fine with limited veggies, I upped them back up to a normal amount, and he did fine. Except that every few days, he has soft mush coming out of his butt again. ARGH. Why does he do this??

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:17 am

Did the intermittent mushiness go away completely with limited veggies? Perhaps he can't really handle so many veggies, or they cause temporary gut flora imbalance or something. I don't know :-(

Would a course of ab's or something be a good idea? Did you do that before? Poor old Jackie.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:30 am

I remember someone systematically trying to figure out if a particular veg was causing the problem -- and her pig apparently did better with out it (don't remember the veg but do remember the experimentation).

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:20 am

Have you had his poop checked under a microscope for yeast overgrowth?

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:29 pm

If he can't handle pellets, and he can't handle veggies, what is he supposed to eat other than hay?

He has an appointment on Wednesday morning.

ellenvega
Skol Pigs!

Post   » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:14 pm

I remember someone systematically trying to figure out if a particular veg was causing the problem -- and her pig apparently did better with out it (don't remember the veg but do remember the experimentation).

I did this with one of my pigs and found carrots to be the culprit. She has never received carrots again and has had no more problems with mushy poops.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:20 pm

Will he eat Critical Care voluntarily and if so, what does that do to his feces?

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:47 pm

I actually don't have any Critical Care around.

Tonight he weighed 1lb 15.1oz. Very scary. I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow (called yesterday, it was the first available appointment).

His poops are mushy and gooey in the morning. Then by the evening they're normal shape and size but they smell awful.