Three just north of Atlanta, GA have until Tuesday

crazycheryl

Post   » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:51 pm

stf, I'm so sorry about Mia and the little baby. I'm only just now catching up on this thread and didn't even realize little Mia was pregnant.

GuineaPiggin

Post   » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:50 pm

I just got caught up with this thread.

So sorry to hear about Mia and her pup. =(
That is a beautiful resting place for the both of them.

RIP Mia and Baby
God Speed Good Pigs

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:05 pm

Ok all. I'm starting to do a twice daily check for babies. Am I psycho or what? How will I know when it's getting to be "any day now"?

I know I should not handle her very much. I weighed her tonight and clipped toenails since it may be a while before I can do it again. She weighs a whopping 1336 gms. She weighed 968 on June 2nd. 300 of those grams have come on in the last month.

How often should I or could I weigh her right now? SHOULD I be giving her a feel every few days (not picking her up, just touching her) to see if anything has changed?

I feel so bad for that poor pig that just had 9 babies. Nala is so big and she only has one or two. I can't even imagine what that other pig felt like!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:43 pm

Gee, I don't know. We generally recommend handling very carefully or not at all as they get later in their pregnancy. I hope she does well!

rshevin

Post   » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:56 pm

Well, you can weigh her without handling much. I can't remember which cage she's in or how your fleece is. If she's on the bottom level you can pull back the fleece, put the scale on the coro, and shoo her into a pre-weighed box. It almost seems though, like weighing is less important now that you know she's pregnant. It's more of an issue after birth maybe? I dunno.

Oh, and if she were my pig, she'd definitely be getting pets and very gentle "feels" probably every day. Mostly because I'd be so freaking fascinated. I'd say just pet her like you would any other pig in the cage and let that be your inspection.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:07 am

I had a very skittish, newly rescued pregnant pig whom I rarely handled until she gave birth to 5 healthy babies.

I think that pregnancy is one time that I don't weigh weekly if the pig is very skittish. But it depends on the pig.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:15 am

Sending good thoughts for Nala! I hope she has her little ones soon, and safely.

slavetofuzzy
4 the Good of all Pigs

Post   » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:51 am

Thanks all. I will most likely not handle her anymore unless I suspect a problem. I will pet her and give her love while she's on solid ground though.

rshevin, she is in the bottom cage. I have a step stool in the room and I just sit on it and watch her. I'm obsessed! The baby(ies) are moving. I *think* I can feel 2. One is bigger than the other. OR it's one huge baby and I'm feeling each end of it.

tiggyswift

Post   » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:15 am

I'm so sorry, stf. You did everything you could for them. Know you gave them the best life ever. RIP, sweet Mia and Snowy.

Jennicat

Post   » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:20 am

Man, every time I see additions to this thread, I get all excited and start looking for baby pictures!

Feylin

Post   » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:22 am

I know! Do you supoose Nala knows that people from all over the planet are waiting for her to get on with it?

Jennicat

Post   » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:26 am

Probably, that's how pigs are. Especially pigs who are probably all grumpy with swollen ankles.