Ack! Why did Jackie lose weight?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:43 am

The awful smell sure sounds like bacteria gone wild. Are you going to have a fecal done? I remember using some of your advice on the diarrhea page so I figure you know more than I do.

gl/diarrhea.html

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:30 pm

I went to the local vet today. They can't do a culture in-house but they prescribed Flagyl. They also looked at his teeth to see if that had caused his weight loss.

I am wondering what I should do to try and get more weight on him or keep him from losing more. Should I offer him a small amount of pellets, and no veggies? And see how badly that affects his poops?

Robyn3939
Lethal Lover

Post   » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:46 pm

Tell Jackie to stop it...now! He's supposed to be our healthy as a horse boy. He's always been a bit smelly in his trunk hasn't he? I would try the pellets and see wht happens. At least you can rule them out if things improve.

rshevin

Post   » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:49 pm

Well, definitely try one thing at a time. I'd pick the thing which caused the least amount of GI disruption in the past.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:33 pm

I'd withdraw all veggies, but put in a dish of critical care to make up for it :-) Occasionally I have to do this, and the pigs don't seem to mind much as long as they get a dish of CC.

cavykatie

Post   » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:35 pm

Just read through the thread. Sorry I can't give any advice, but I wish you and Jackie well.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:01 am

Retardo Pig had more mushy poop today. It also smells very bad, but very different. The texture is also different than before.

So I was freaking out about that, and then I discovered that either Jackie or Suzi had been chewing on the (towel-covered) icepack in their cage. Luckily I discovered that the pack was filled with a gel made of carboxymethylcellulose and ordinary water. It's a thickener used in food and health products...and in laxatives! I'm sure Jackie ate some of it and totally shouldn't have.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:03 am

Poor Jackie. He can't catch a break. After all, you put it in his cage so it must be ok, right??? : )

Feylin

Post   » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:35 am

Jackie just wanted some of that poop to come out faster!

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:17 am

Oh, poor Jackie. I hope he feels better, and things return to "normal" soon.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:35 pm

His poopies are looking and smelling better today! He had about five of them in his butt, of course.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:40 pm

Whenever my husband complains about any of our males, I shall refer him to this thread. ;-)

We've put those ice packs in their cages, also towel-covered. I shall further consider myself warned.

Best to Jackie, and you.

rshevin

Post   » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:14 pm

Oh my gosh I'm so glad it was just carboxymethylcellulose and that you figured out what it was! That stuff is mighty inert but wow what a scare. I'd go back to water filled soda bottles in tube socks. My boys aren't as, um, versatile as Jackie, but they haven't chewed through that yet.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:23 pm

Yeah, Suzi didn't have any diarrhea. So it was probably Jackie.

The nitwit.

How come I have such an idiot pig?

rshevin

Post   » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:39 pm

He's just curious. And deeply misunderstood.

Robyn3939
Lethal Lover

Post   » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:48 pm

I agree, Jackie has always been misunderstood. He tries, he really does.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:45 am

Jackie is worth the price of admission. But then I don't pay his vet bills.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:54 am

Naughty Jackie!

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:42 pm

Too bad he's never found a sow that thinks he's worth the price of admission.

Jackie is a special, special pig, and I wouldn't trade him for anything.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:30 pm

Yes, Jackie is indeed special.

232 posts